5 CFR 831.109 - Initial decision and reconsideration.
(a)Who may file. Except as noted in paragraph (b) of this section any individual or agency whose rights or interests under the Civil Service Retirement System are affected by an initial decision of the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) may request OPM to review its initial decision.
(b)Actions covered elsewhere.
(2) A request for reconsideration of a decision to collect a debt will be made in accordance with § 831.1304(b).
(c)Initial decision. A decision shall be considered an initial decision when rendered by OPM in writing and stating the right to reconsideration.
(d)Reconsideration. A request for reconsideration must be in writing, must include the individual's name, address, date of birth and claim number, if applicable, and must state the basis for the request.
(e)Time limits on reconsideration.
(2) The representative of the Associate Director for Compensation responsible for reconsiderations may extend the time limit for filing when the individual shows that he/she was not notified of the time limit and was not otherwise aware of it, or that he/she was prevented by circumstances beyond his/her control from making the request within the time limit.
(1) After reconsideration, the Associate Director's representative shall issue a final decision which shall be in writing, shall fully set forth the findings and conclusions of the reconsideration, and shall contain notice of the right to request an appeal provided in § 831.110. Copies of the final decision shall be sent to the individual, to any competing claimants and, where applicable, to the agency.
(2) OPM may issue a final decision providing the opportunity to appeal under § 831.110 rather than an opportunity to request reconsideration under paragraph (c) of this section. Such a decision must be in writing and state the right to appeal under § 831.110.
(1) When a competing claimant files a request for reconsideration under this section, the other competing claimants shall be notified of the request and given an opportunity to submit written substantiation of their claim.
(2) When a determination in favor of one claimant would affect another claimant, all claimants concerned will be notified of that decision and those adversely affected will be given an opportunity to request reconsideration. OPM shall not execute its decision until the time limit for requesting reconsideration has expired. If reconsideration has been requested, OPM shall take no action after the reconsideration decision is rendered until the time limit to appeal has expired.
- 5 CFR 838.1009 — Decisions.
- 5 CFR 831.110 — Appeals.
- 5 CFR 831.1206 — Evidence Supporting Entitlement to Disability Benefits.
- 5 CFR 838.1007 — Preliminary Review.
- 5 CFR 831.1212 — Administrative Review of OPM Decisions.
- 5 CFR 838.1002 — Relation to Other Regulations.
- 5 CFR 831.602 — Relation to Other Regulations.