5 CFR 843.406 - Proof of dependency.
(a) A child is considered to have been dependent on the deceased employee or retiree if he or she is -
(1) A legitimate child; or
(2) An adopted child; or
(4) A recognized natural child for whom a judicial determination of support was obtained; or
(b) The following are examples of proofs of regular and substantial support. More than one of the following proofs may be required to show support of a natural child who did not live with the employee or retiree in a regular parent-child relationship and for whom a judicial determination of support was not obtained.
(2) Proof of inclusion of the child as a dependent on the decedent's income tax returns for the years immediately before the employee's or retiree's death;
(6) Other proof of a similar nature that OPM may find to be sufficient to demonstrate support or parentage.
(c) Survivor benefits may be denied -
(1) If evidence shows that the deceased employee or retiree did not recognize the claimant as his or her own despite a willingness to support the child; or
(2) If evidence casts doubt upon the parentage of the claimant, despite the deceased employee's or retiree's recognition and support of the child.
Title 5 published on 2015-01-01
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 5 CFR Part 843 after this date.