50 CFR 18.22 - Taking by Federal, State or local government officials.
(1) Is accomplished in a humane manner;
(2) Is for the protection or welfare of such mammal or from the protection of the public health or welfare; and
(3) Includes steps designed to insure return of such mammal, if not killed in the course of such taking, to its natural habitat. In addition, any such official or employee may, incidental to such taking, possess and transport, but not sell or offer for sale, such mammal and use any port, harbor or other place under the jurisdiction of the United States. All steps reasonably practicable under the circumstances shall be taken by any such employee or official to prevent injury or death to the marine mammal as the result of such taking.
(b) Each taking permitted under this section should be included in a written report, to be submitted to the Director every six months, beginning December 31, 1973. Unless otherwise permitted by the Director, the report shall contain a description of:
(1) The animal involved;
(2) The circumstances requiring the taking;
(3) The method of taking;
(4) The name and official position of the State official or employee involved;
(5) The disposition of the animal, including in cases where the animal has been retained in captivity, a description of the place and means of confinement and the measures taken for its maintenance and care; and
(6) Such other information as the Director may require.
Title 50 published on 10-May-2017 04:10
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 50 CFR Part 18 after this date.