50 CFR § 622.185 - Size limits.
All size limits in this section are minimum size limits unless specified otherwise. A fish not in compliance with its size limit, as specified in this section, in or from the South Atlantic EEZ, may not be possessed, sold, or purchased. A fish not in compliance with its size limit must be released immediately with a minimum of harm. The operator of a vessel that fishes in the EEZ is responsible for ensuring that fish on board are in compliance with the size limits specified in this section.
(a) Snapper - (1) [Reserved]
(2) Vermilion snapper - 12 inches (30.5 cm), TL.
(3) Cubera, gray, and yellowtail snappers - 12 inches (30.5 cm), TL.
(4) Mutton snapper - 18 inches (45.7 cm), TL.
(5) Lane snapper - 8 inches (20.3 cm), TL.
(b) Grouper -
(1) Red, yellowfin, and yellowmouth grouper; and scamp - 20 inches (50.8 cm), TL.
(2) Black grouper and gag - 24 inches (61.0 cm), TL.
(c) Other snapper-grouper species -
(1) Black sea bass.
(2) Gray triggerfish - 12 inches (30.5 cm), FL.
(4) Red porgy - 14 inches (35.6 cm), TL.
(5) Greater amberjack - 28 inches (71.1 cm), fork length, for a fish taken by a person subject to the bag limit specified in § 622.187(b)(1) and 36 inches (91.4 cm), fork length, for a fish taken by a person not subject to the bag limit.