7 CFR 1434.15 - Personal liability..
(a) As part of the application for an individual or joint MAL or LDP, each producer agrees that:
(1) By signing the MAL note and security agreement, the producer must:
(i) Provide correct, accurate, and truthful certifications and representations of the loan quantity and all other matters of fact and interest; and
(ii) Not remove or dispose of any amount of the loan quantity without prior written approval from CCC in accordance with this section.
(2) That violation of the terms and conditions of this part and the MAL note and security agreement will cause harm or damage to CCC in that funds may be disbursed to the producer for a MAL quantity that is not actually in existence or for a quantity for which the producer is not eligible.
(b) For the purposes of this section, violations include any failure to comply with this part or the loan agreement, including but not limited to any incorrect certification or:
(1) Unauthorized removal of honey, which includes, but is not limited to, the movement of any loan quantity of honey from the storage structure in the commodity was stored when the loan was approved to any other storage structure whether or not such structure is located on the producer's farm without prior written authorization from the county committee in accordance with § 1434.14;
(2) Any unauthorized disposition, which includes, but is not limited to, the conversion of any loan quantity pledged as collateral for a loan without prior written authorization from the county committee in accordance with this section.
(c) The producer and CCC agree that it will be difficult, if not impossible, to prove the amount of damages to CCC for conduct that is in violation of this section. Accordingly, if the county committee determines that the producer has engaged in any such violation, liquidated damages will be assessed in addition to any loan refund and other charges that may be due. The amount of such damages will be computed using the quantity of honey that is involved in the violation and the following formula. If CCC determines the producer:
(1) Acted in good faith when the violation occurred, liquidated damages will be assessed by multiplying the quantity involved in the violation by 10 percent of the loan rate applicable to the loan note for each offense.
(2) Did not act in good faith with regard to the violation, or for cases other than the first or second offense, liquidated damages will be assessed by multiplying the quantity involved in the violation by 10 percent of the loan rate applicable to the loan note.
(d) For liquidated damages assessed in accordance with paragraph (c)(1) of this section, the county committee will:
(1) Require repayment of the loan principal applicable to the loan quantity involved in the violation plus charges and interest; and
(2) If the producer fails to pay such amount within 30 calendar days from the date of notification, call the applicable loan for all of the honey under loan, plus charges and interest.
(e) For liquidated damages assessed in accordance with paragraph (c)(2) of this section, the county committee will call the loan involved in the violation, and charges plus interest.
(f) The county committee:
(1) May waive the administrative actions taken in accordance with paragraphs (c)(1) and (d) of this section if the county committee determines that:
(i) The violation occurred inadvertently, accidentally, or unintentionally; or
(ii) The producer acted to prevent spoilage of the commodity.
(2) Will not consider the following acts as inadvertent, accidental, or unintentional:
(i) Movement of loan collateral off the farm;
(ii) Movement of loan collateral from one storage structure to another on the farm; and (iii) Consumption of loan collateral.
(g) If there is any violation of the loan agreement or this part, the loan may be terminated in which case there must be a full refund of the loan plus interest and costs.
(h) If the county committee determines that the producer has violated this part or the loan agreement, the county committee will notify the producer in writing that:
(1) The producer has 30 calendar days to provide evidence and information regarding the circumstances that caused the violation, to the county committee, and
(2) Administrative actions will be taken in accordance with paragraphs (d) or (e) of this section.
(1) If a producer:
(i) Makes any fraudulent or misleading representation in obtaining a loan, maintaining, or settling a loan; or
(ii) Disposes or moves the loan collateral without the approval of CCC, such loan shall become payable upon demand by CCC. The producer is liable for:
(A) The amount of the loan;
(B) Any additional amounts paid by CCC with respect to the loan;
(C) All other costs that CCC would not have incurred but for the fraudulent representation, the unauthorized disposition or movement of the loan collateral;
(D) Interest on such amounts;
(E) Late payment interest as may be provided for in part 1403 of this title; and
(F) Liquidated damages assessed under paragraph (c) of this section; and
(2) Notwithstanding any provisions of the note and security agreement, if a producer has made any such fraudulent or misleading representation to CCC or if the producer has disposed of, or moved, the loan collateral without prior written approval from CCC in accordance with this section, the value of the settlement for such collateral removed by CCC is determined by CCC according to this section.
(j) A producer is personally liable for any damages resulting from honey removed by CCC, containing mercurial compounds or other substances poisonous to humans, animals, or food commodities that are contaminated.
(k) If the amount disbursed under a loan or in settlement thereof exceeds the amount authorized under this part, the producer is personally liable for repayment of such excess and charges, plus interest, and for any other sanction as may be allowed by law.
(l) If the amount collected from the producer in satisfaction of the loan is less than the amount required in accordance with this part, the producer is personally liable for repayment of the amount of such deficiency and charges, plus interest.
(m) In the case of joint MALs, the personal liability for the amounts specified in this section are joint and several on the part of each producer signing the MAL note. Further, each producer who is a party to a joint MAL will be jointly and severally liable for any violation of the terms and conditions of the note and security agreement, and the regulations in this part. Each such producer also remains liable for repayment of the entire MAL amount until the MAL is fully repaid without regard to such producer's claimed share in the honey, or MAL proceeds, after execution of the note and security agreement by CCC.
(n) Any or all of the liquidated damages assessed in accordance with the provisions of paragraph (c) of this section may be waived as determined by CCC.
(o) Remedies set out in this section are in addition to remedies the CCC will have through its security interest on honey that secures the repayment of the loan made on the honey.
(p) All remedies provided for in this section or part are in addition to any remedies as may otherwise be provided for in law.
Title 7 published on 2015-01-01
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 7 CFR Part 1434 after this date.