7 CFR § 3430.303 - Eligibility.
(a) General. Unless otherwise specified in the RFA or this subpart, eligible applicants for the grant program implemented under this subpart include:
(1) State agricultural experiment stations;
(3) University research foundations;
(4) Other research institutions and organizations;
(5) Federal agencies;
(7) Private organizations or corporations;
(8) Individuals; and
(9) Any group consisting of 2 or more entities identified in paragraphs (a)(1) through (8) of this section.
(b) Integrated projects. Eligible entities for the integrated component under this subpart include:
(1) Colleges and universities;
(2) 1994 Institutions; and
(c) FASE Grants -
(1) New investigator awards. To be eligible to apply, a new investigator must be in the beginning of his/her career, without an extensive publication record, and must have less than 5 years of postgraduate, career-track experience. To be eligible to receive a grant, the new investigator may not have received competitively awarded Federal funds, with the exception of pre- or postdoctoral awards or NRI/AFRI Seed Grants. The AFRI RFA will contain specific instructions for New Investigator Grant eligibility, restrictions, and application preparation.
(2) Pre- and postdoctoral fellowships. The following eligibility requirements apply to applicants for pre- and postdoctoral fellowships.
(i) The doctoral degree of the applicant must be received not earlier than January 1 of the calendar year three years prior to the submission of the proposal and not later than nine months after the proposal due date; and
(ii) For pre-doctoral applications, the applicant must have advanced to candidacy by the application deadline.
(3) Strengthening grants. Eligibility for all strengthening categories includes:
(i) Small and mid-sized academic institutions that have had limited institutional success;