7 CFR § 760.1702 - Definitions.
The following definitions apply to the Milk Loss Program.
Affected farmer means a person who produces whole milk which is removed from the commercial market any time or who produces but was unable to deliver milk to a commercial market as a result of a qualifying event limited to:
(1) Weather-related event prevented transportation of the milk,
(2) Weather-related event caused a power outage or structural damage causing milk to be unmerchantable.
Application period means any period during calendar year 2018 and 2019 which an affected farmer's whole milk is dumped or removed without compensation from the commercial market due to a qualified disaster event for which application for payment is made.
Claim period means the calendar month, or months, in which milk was dumped or removed and usually is the calendar month immediately following the base period.
Commercial market means:
FSA means the Farm Service Agency, U.S. Department of Agriculture.
Milk handler means the marketing agency to or through which the affected dairy farmer marketed his whole milk at the time he dumped milk or was unable to deliver milk to the commercial market due to a qualifying weather related event.
Pay period means:
(1) In the case of an affected farmer who markets his whole milk through a milk handler, the period used by the milk handler in settling with the affected farmer for his whole milk, usually biweekly or monthly; or
Person means an individual, partnership, association, corporation, trust, estate, or other legal entity.
Qualifying disaster event means a hurricane, flood, tornado, typhoon, volcanic activity, snowstorm, or wildfire or related condition that occurred in the 2018 or 2019 calendar year.
Removed from the commercial market means:
(1) Produced and destroyed or fed to livestock;
(2) Produced and delivered to a handler who destroyed it or disposed of it as salvage (such as separating whole milk, destroying the fat, and drying the skim milk); or
(3) Produced and otherwise diverted to other than the commercial market.
Same loss means the event or trigger that caused the milk to be removed from the commercial market.
Whole milk means milk as it is produced by cows.