7 CFR 989.53 - Research and development.
(a)General. The Committee, with the approval of the Secretary, may establish or provide for the establishment of projects involving marketing research and development and marketing promotion including paid advertising, designed to assist, improve, or promote the marketing, distribution, and consumption of raisins in domestic and foreign markets. These projects may include, but need not be limited to those designed to:
(1) Improve through research the accuracy of raisin production estimates;
(2) Improve through research the preparation for market, sanitation, quality, condition, storability, processing, or packaging of raisins;
(3) Ascertain through research the factors affecting acceptance of raisins by manufacturers or consumers;
(4) Promote the marketing, distribution, or consumption of raisins in domestic and foreign markets by collecting data thereon, consulting with members of the trade, and making the information available to producers, handlers, and exporters; and
(5) Promote the marketing, distribution, or consumption of raisins in foreign markets through the use of merchandising programs.
(b)Creditable expenditures. The Committee, with the approval of the Secretary, may provide for crediting all or any portion of a handler's direct expenditures for marketing promotion, including paid advertising, that promotes the sale of raisins, raisin products, or their use. No handler shall receive credit for any allowable direct expenditures that would exceed the total of his assessment obligation which is attributable to that portion of his assessment designated for marketing promotion including paid advertising.
(c)Criteria. Before any project involving marketing promotion, including paid advertising, and the