(a) An elephant, hippopotamus, rhinoceros, or tapir shall not be imported into the United States unless accompanied by an import permit issued by APHIS and unless imported into the United States within 30 days after the proposed date of arrival stated in the import permit. The port veterinarian must be notified of the date of arrival at least 72 hours before the animal arrives in the United States.
(b) An application for an import permit must be submitted to the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service, Veterinary Services, National Center for Import-Export, 4700 River Road Unit 38, Riverdale, Maryland 20737-1231. pplication forms for import permits may be obtained from this staff.
(c) The completed application shall include the following information:
(1) The name and address of the person intending to export an elephant, hippopotamus, rhinoceros, or tapir to the United States;
(2) The name and address of the person intending to import an elephant, hippopotamus, rhinoceros, or tapir into the United States;
(3) The species, breed, and number of elephants, hippopotami, rhinoceroses, or tapirs to be imported;
(4) The purpose of the importation;
(5) The port of embarkation;
(6) The name and concentration of the pesticide intended to be used to treat the elephant, hippopotamus, rhinoceros, or tapir for ectoparasites prior to the animal being transported to the United States;
(7) The mode of transportation;
(8) The route of travel;
(9) The port of entry in the United States and, if applicable, the address of the facility to be provided by the importer for inspection, treatment, and incineration pursuant to § 93.6 of this part;
(11) The name and address of the person to whom the elephant, hippopotamus, rhinoceros, or tapir will be delivered in the United States.
(d) After receipt and review of the application by APHIS, an import permit indicating the applicable conditions under this part for importation into the United States shall be issued for the importation of the elephant, hippopotamus, rhinoceros, or tapir described in the application if such animal appears to be eligible to be imported. Even though an import permit has been issued for the importation of an elephant, hippopotamus, rhinoceros, or tapir, the animal may be imported only if all applicable requirements of this part are met.
[52 FR 29502, Aug. 10, 1987, as amended at 57 FR 23049, June 1, 1992; 59 FR 67615, Dec. 30, 1994. Redesignated at 62 FR 56012, Oct. 28, 1997]
Title 9 published on 2014-01-01
The following are only the Rules published in the Federal Register after the published date of Title 9.
For a complete list of all Rules, Proposed Rules, and Notices view the Rulemaking tab.
This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.