Sec. R9-24-201 - Definitions
§ R9-24-201. Definitions
In addition to the definitions in A.R.S. § 36-2351, the following definitions apply in this Article, unless otherwise specified:
1. "Agency" has the same meaning as in A.R.S. § 41-1001.
2. "Arizona Medical Board" means the agency established by A.R.S. § 32-1402 to regulate physicians licensed under A.R.S. Title 32, Chapter 13.
3. "Arizona medically underserved area" means:
a. A primary care area with the designation described in R9-24-202(1), or
b. A primary care area with the designation described in R9-24-202(2).
4. "Board of Osteopathic Examiners in Medicine and Surgery" means the agency established by A.R.S. § 32-1801 to regulate physicians licensed under A.R.S. Title 32, Chapter 17.
5. "Census tract" means a small, relatively permanent statistical subdivision of a county established by the U.S. Bureau of Census.
6. "Communities of color" means individuals who self identify their race/ethnicity as anything other than Non-Hispanic White.
7. "Disability" means physical, mental, or sensory impairment as reported to the American Community Survey that may include hearing difficulty, vision difficulty, cognitive difficulty, ambulatory difficulty, self-care difficulty, and independent living difficulty.
8. "Federal poverty level" means a set of money income thresholds that vary by family size and composition used by the U.S. Census Bureau to determine who is in poverty.
9. "First health care contact" means the initial telephone call or visit to a health care provider as defined in 45 CFR 160.103 for an individual's health issue.
10. "Full-time" means providing primary care services for at least 40 hours between a Sunday at 12:00 midnight and the next Sunday at 12:00 midnight.
11. "Health organization" means:
a. A person or entity that provides medical services;
b. A third party payor defined in A.R.S. § 36-125.07(C); or
c. A trade or professional association described in 501(c)(3), (4), (5), or (6) of the Internal Revenue Code, 26 U.S.C. 501(c), that is exempt from federal income taxes.
12. "Indian reservation" has the same meaning as in A.R.S. § 11-801.
13. "Local planning personnel" means an individual who develops programs related to the delivery of and access to medical services for places or areas:
a. Under the jurisdiction of an Arizona city or county, or
b. In an Arizona Indian reservation or less than 50 miles outside the boundaries of an Indian reservation.
14. "Low birthweight" means any neonate weighing less than 2,500 grams at birth or less than 5 pounds 8 ounces.
15. "Medical services" has the same meaning as in A.R.S. § 36-401.
16. "Nonresidential" means not primarily used for living and sleeping.
17. "Person" has the same meaning as in A.R.S. § 41-1001.
18. "Political subdivision" means a county, city, town, district, association, or authority created by state law.
19. "Population" means the number of residents of a place or an area, according to the most recent American Community Survey prepared by the U.S. Census Bureau.
20. "Primary care area" means a geographic region determined by the Department under R9-24-204.
21. "Primary care HPSA" means primary care health professional shortage area designated by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services under 42 U.S.C. 254e, 42 CFR 5.1 through 5.4, and 42 CFR Part 5, Appendix A.
22. "Primary care index" means the document in which the Department designates primary care areas as medically underserved according to R9-24-203 and Table 2.1.
23. "Primary care physician" means an Arizona licensed practitioner who:
a. Except for emergencies, is an individual's first health care contact; and
b. Provides primary care services in general or family practice, general internal medicine, pediatrics, or obstetrics and gynecology.
24. "Primary care services" means health care provided by a primary care physician, including:
a. Illness and injury prevention,
b. Health promotion and education,
c. Identification of individuals at special risk for illness,
d. Early detection of illness,
e. Treatment of illness and injury, and
f. Referral to specialists.
25. "Primary care services utilization pattern" means a distribution of the use of primary care services resulting from the factors listed in R9-24-204(A)(3)(a).
26. "Resident" means an individual who lives and sleeps in a place or an area more than one-half of the time.
27. "Residential" means primarily used for living and sleeping.
28. "Specialist" means an individual who:
a. Is regulated under:
i. A.R.S. Title 32, Chapters 7, 8, 11, 13, 14, 15, 15.1, 16, 17, 18, 19, 19.1, 25, 28, 29, 33, 34, 35, 39, or 41;
ii. A.R.S. Title 36, Chapter 6, Article 7; or
iii. A.R.S. Title 36, Chapter 17; and
b. Meets the education, knowledge, and skill requirements generally recognized in the profession related to a specific service or procedure, patient category, body part or system, or type of disease.
29."Topography" means the surface configuration of a place or region, including elevations and positions of the physical features.
30. "Travel pattern" means a prevalent flow of vehicles resulting from:
a. The configuration of streets, and
b. The location of residential and nonresidential areas.
31. "Value" means a number within a value range.
32. "Value range" means, for a criterion listed in R9-24-203(B) and Table 2.1, a measurement:
a. Consisting of a scale between upper and lower limits, except for the supplementary criteria score under R9-24-203(B)(8); and
b. To which Table 2.1 assigns points or 0 points.(Adopted effective July 27, 1978 (Supp. 78-4). R9-24-201recodified from R9-24-121 (Supp. 95-2). Section repealed; new Section adopted by final rulemaking at 7 A.A.R. 715, effective January 17, 2001 (Supp. 01-1). Amended by final rulemaking at 12 A.A.R. 3048, effective September 30, 2006 (Supp. 06-3). Amended by final expedited rulemaking at 26 A.A.R. 1969, effective 9/4/2020.)
The following state regulations pages link to this page.