Persons or entities in this state that purchase, transfer, or otherwise receive a precursor substance as defined in rule 657-12.1 (124B) from a source outside the state shall obtain a permit from the board. No person or entity required to obtain a permit shall receive a precursor substance from a source outside the state until an application for permit is approved and the board has issued a permit certificate. Permits shall expire on the last day of the calendar year in which the permit is issued.
Application forms may be obtained from and completed applications shall be submitted to the Board of Pharmacy, 400 S.W. Eighth Street, Suite E, Des Moines, Iowa 50309-4688. Permit renewal forms will be mailed to each current permit holder approximately 60 days before the expiration date of the permit. A permit holder who has not received a renewal form 45 days prior to expiration of a current permit is responsible for contacting the board to request an application for renewal.
a. Application shall be made on forms provided or approved by the board. Each application shall include all requested information, unless the item is not applicable, in which case that fact shall be indicated.
Each application, attachment, or other document filed as part of an application shall be signed by the applicant as follows:
(1) If the applicant is an individual, signature shall be by that individual.
(2) If the applicant is a partnership, signature shall be by a partner
(3) If the applicant is a corporation, corporate division, association, trust, or other entity, signature shall be by the chief executive officer
(2) Initial permit, renewal and fees.
The fee for an initial permit or permit renewal shall be paid at the time that the application for the permit or permit renewal is submitted for filing. Payment shall be made in the form of a personal, business, certified, or cashier's check or money order made payable to the Iowa Board of Pharmacy. Payments made in the form of foreign currency or third-party endorsed checks will not be accepted.
a. Initial and renewal fees. For each initial permit or timely renewed permit, an applicant shall pay a fee of $180.
b. late application. Failure to renew a permit prior to January 1 following the permit's expiration shall require payment of the renewal fee plus a $180 late payment fee.
c. Delinquent permit. If a permit is not renewed before its expiration date, the permit is delinquent and the permit holder may not receive a precursor substance from a source outside the state until the delinquent permit is renewed. A delinquent-permit holder that continues activities for which a permit is required may be subject to disciplinary sanctions pursuant to 657-subrule 36.1(4).
(3) Exemption from permit fee. The requirement for permit fee is waived for federal, state, and local law enforcement agencies and analytical laboratories. Exemption from payment of permit fees as provided in this subrule does not relieve the agency or laboratory of any requirement to obtain a permit nor of any other requirements or duties prescribed by law.
(4) Exemption from permit. A permit is not required for a vendor of a drug containing ephedrine, phenylpropanolamine, or pseudoephedrine or of a cosmetic that contains a precursor substance if the drug or cosmetic is lawfully sold, transferred, or furnished either over the counter without a prescription pursuant to Iowa Code chapter 126 or with a prescription pursuant to Iowa Code chapter 155 A.
(5) Termination. A permit issued to an individual shall terminate upon the death of the individual. A permit issued to an individual or business shall terminate when the individual or business ceases legal existence, discontinues business, or discontinues activities for which the permit was issued.