Kan. Admin. Regs. § 44-12-1306 - Use of restitution

(a) When restitution is used in the disciplinary process, the following requirements and limitations shall apply:
(1) The amount of and manner of payment of restitution imposed may be appealed in the same manner and to the same extent as those for any other appeal of sentence in the disciplinary process.
(2) The appropriateness and amount of restitution ordered shall be determined by consideration of the factors set forth in K.A.R. 44-12-1307.
(3) No inmate shall be required to continue payment on any restitution imposed under these regulations while released from incarceration. Upon any subsequent readmission of the inmate to a facility, any restitution owed may be collected. No portion of the inmate's gate money gratuity as authorized by K.S.A. 75-5211, and amendments thereto, shall be used toward the payment of this restitution.
(4) Restitution shall continue to be paid out of money earned by the inmate in the work release program, the private nonprison employment program, or any other gainful employment industries program. Restitution payment shall be limited to a reasonable amount and, if appropriate, shall be made in installments.
(5) The inmate shall be given notice in the disciplinary report or, if necessary, in an amended disciplinary report served upon the inmate no later than 24 hours before the hearing of the amount and basis for seeking restitution. The inmate shall be given an opportunity at the sentencing phase of the hearing to present evidence regarding the appropriate amount of restitution. The hearing officer shall limit the evidence to a reasonable amount and extent that is appropriate to the nature of the administrative hearing, the level of the offense, and the extent of possible impact on the inmate's resources.
(b) If restitution is to be made to an entity, whether or not the entity is a governmental agency or unit, then the money satisfying the order of restitution shall be delivered to that entity. If restitution is paid to an inmate, the money shall be transferred by the clerk from the account of the inmate payer to the account of the inmate payee after the conclusion of the entire disciplinary process, including any appeal. If restitution is paid to any other person, the hearing officer shall determine how payment is to be made, and the warden or designee shall review the payment arrangements for approval, conferring with the facility business manager if appropriate.


Kan. Admin. Regs. § 44-12-1306
Authorized by and implementing K.S.A. 2005 Supp. 75-5210, K.S.A. 75-5251; effective May 1, 1981; amended May 1, 1987; amended April 20, 1992; amended Feb. 15, 2002; amended July 13, 2007.

State regulations are updated quarterly; we currently have two versions available. Below is a comparison between our most recent version and the prior quarterly release. More comparison features will be added as we have more versions to compare.

No prior version found.