Ohio Admin. Code 1301:7-7-25 - Fruit and crop ripening
Current through all regulations passed and filed through September 3, 2021
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 3737.83, 3737.82, 3737.22
Rule Amplifies: 3737.22, 3737.83, 3737.82
Prior Effective Dates: 07/01/1979, 06/01/1985, 06/15/1992, 07/01/1993, 09/01/1995, 03/30/1998, 01/03/2000, 09/01/2005, 07/01/2007, 11/01/2011
The following state regulations pages link to this page.
State regulations are updated quarterly; we currently have two versions available. Below is a comparison between our most recent version and the prior quarterly release. More comparison features will be added as we have more versions to compare.
§ 1301:7-7-25. Fruit and crop ripening
(A) Section 2501 General
(1)2501.1 Scope. Ripening processes where ethylene gas is introduced into a room to promote the ripening of fruits, vegetables and other crops shall comply with this rule.
Exception: Mixtures of ethylene and one or more inert gases in concentrations that prevent the gas from reaching greater than 25 per cent of the lower explosive limit (LEL) when released to the atmosphere.
(2) 2501.2 Permits. Permits shall be required as set forth in rule 1301:7-7-01 of the Administrative Code.
(3) 2501.3 Ethylene generators. Approved ethylene generators shall be operated and maintained in accordance with paragraph (F)(2506) of this rule.
(B) Section 2502 Definitions
(1) 2502.1 Terms defined in rule 1301:7-7-02 of the Administrative Code. Words and terms used in this rule and defined in rule 1301:7-7-02 of the Administrative Code shall have the meanings ascribed to them as defined therein.
(C) Section 2503 Ethylene gas
(1) 2503.1 Location. Ethylene gas shall be discharged only into approved rooms or enclosures designed and constructed for this purpose.
(2) 2503.2 Dispensing. Valves controlling discharge of ethylene shall provide positive and fail-closed control of flow and shall be set to limit the concentration of gas in air below 1,000 parts per million (ppm).
(D) Section 2504 Sources of ignition
(1)2504.1 Ignition prevention. Sources of ignition shall be controlled or protected in accordance with this paragraph and rule 1301:7-7-03 of the Administrative Code.
(2) 2504.2 Electrical wiring and equipment. Electrical wiring and equipment, including luminaires, shall be approved for use in Class I, Division 2, Group C hazardous (classified) locations.
(3) 2504.3 Static electricity. Containers, piping and equipment used to dispense ethylene shall be bonded and grounded to prevent the discharge of static sparks or arcs.
(4) 2504.4 Lighting. Lighting shall be by approved electric lamps or luminaires only.
(5) 2504.5 Heating. Heating shall be by indirect means utilizing low-pressure steam, hot water or warm air.
Exception: Electric or fuel-fired heaters approved for use in hazardous (classified) locations and that are installed and operated in accordance with the applicable provisions of NFPA 70, the mechanical code or the International Fuel Gas Code as listed in rule 1301:7-7-80 of the Administrative Code.
(E) Section 2505 Combustible waste
(1) 2505.1 Housekeeping. Empty boxes, cartons, pallets and other combustible waste shall be removed from ripening rooms or enclosures and disposed of at regular intervals in accordance with rule 1301:7-7-03 of the Administrative Code.
(F) Section 2506 Ethylene generators
(1) 2506.1 Ethylene generators. Ethylene generators shall be listed and labeled by an approved testing laboratory, approved by the fire code official and used only in approved rooms in accordance with the ethylene generator manufacturer's instructions. The listing evaluation shall include documentation that the concentration of ethylene gas does not exceed 25 per cent of the lower explosive limit (LEL).
(2) 2506.2 Ethylene generator rooms. Ethylene generators shall be used in rooms having a volume of not less than 1,000 cubic feet (28 m 3 ). Rooms shall have air circulation to ensure even distribution of ethylene gas and shall be free from sparks, open flames or other ignition sources.
(G) Section 2507 Warning signs
(1)2507.1 Where required. Approved warning signs indicating the danger involved and necessary precautions shall be posted on all doors and entrances to the premises.
Replaces: 1301:7-7-16.(Effective: 12/15/2017 Five Year Review (FYR) Dates: 12/15/2022 Promulgated Under: 119.03 Statutory Authority: 3737.83, 3737.82, 3737.22 Rule Amplifies: 3737.22, 3737.83, 3737.82 Prior Effective Dates: 07/01/1979, 06/01/1985, 06/15/1992, 07/01/1993, 09/01/1995, 03/30/1998, 01/03/2000, 09/01/2005, 07/01/2007, 11/01/2011)