Ohio Admin. Code 3356-10-13 - Research, grants, and sponsored programs
Current through all regulations passed and filed through December 3, 2021
Promulgated Under: 111.15
Statutory Authority: 3356
Rule Amplifies: 3356
Prior Effective Dates: 01/31/2000, 06/16/2003, 08/21/2010, 04/23/2016, 01/18/2018
The following state regulations pages link to this page.
State regulations are updated quarterly; we currently have two versions available. Below is a comparison between our most recent version and the prior quarterly release. More comparison features will be added as we have more versions to compare.
§ 3356-10-13. Research, grants, and sponsored programs
(A) Policy statement. Believing that the quality of education and public service is grounded in scholarship, the university seeks to encourage and support research and scholarly and professional activity that strengthen its educational and service mission.
(1) "Sponsored programs" are activities, including research, teaching, training or service programs, substantially funded by agencies external to the university and which require program technical, administrative, and fiscal accountability.
(2) "Grants, contracts, and cooperative agreements" are legal instruments governing the administration of sponsored programs.
(3) "Research" is legally defined as "" a systematic investigation, including research development, testing, and evaluation designed to develop or contribute to generalizable knowledge"" [ 45 CFR 46.102(d) ] . It includes internally and/or externally sponsored research, or unfunded research, conducted by authorized faculty or staff.
(1) The university, as an entity of state government, is legally authorized to serve as fiscal agent for sponsored programs undertaken with institutional approval by faculty and staff who may be designated as principal investigators (for research projects) or project directors (on other activities).
(2) University employees or students may not undertake sponsored programs involving university resources unless institutionally authorized to do so.
(3) The president, provost/vice president for academic affairs and director of research services are specifically designated to serve as institutional officials with the authority to approve sponsored program proposals and agreements.
(4) Upon recommendation of the provost and the president may designate additional institutional officials as authorized to approve sponsored program proposals and agreements.
(5) The provost and the director of research services are the university officials having primary authority to oversee the appropriate conduct of sponsored program activities, systems, and services.
(6) The university research council is charged with assisting the provost and the director of research services in stimulating sponsored program activity.
(7) All documents, reports, and/or other publications created under university auspices, notwithstanding the source of support, must appropriately acknowledge the university.
(1) All sponsored programs are initiated by submission of a written proposal, including the proper completion of the Youngstown state university proposal routing process, identifying the nature of the research or other activity, an estimate of the time needed to complete it, and a full costing of all resources needed to support the project.
(a) Faculty proposals are electronically routed by the principal investigator/project director to the department chair(s) and dean(s) of the academic unit(s) involved in the anticipated project. Following their review and approval, the proposal is electronically routed to the director of research services for review and submission clearance and the director of grants accounting prior to approval by an authorized institutional official (usually the director of research services and provost).
(b) Proposals from other areas of the university must be forwarded to the appropriate supervisor and the provost/ vice president for academic affairs or other appropriate associate vice president prior to transmittal to the office of research services, followed by the office of grants accounting, and approval by an authorized institutional official.
(2) All sponsored program applications and award agreements must be reviewed by the director of research services and approved by an authorized institutional official (either the director of research services and provost) before individuals can accept an award or begin any work.
(3) Information on research policies, grants and sponsored programs is available from the office of research services in the following formats:
(a) The office of research services webpage.
(b) Grant development workshops offered by the office of research services each semester.
(c) Personal meetings with the director or staff members of the office of research services.
(4) Other information on faculty research and related considerations is available in the collective bargaining agreement between Youngstown state university and Youngstown state university chapter of the Ohio education association.(Effective: 10/26/2020 Promulgated Under: 111.15 Statutory Authority: 3356 Rule Amplifies: 3356 Prior Effective Dates: 01/31/2000, 06/16/2003, 08/21/2010, 04/23/2016, 01/18/2018)