Sec. 4501:7-1-22 - Firearm bearer notation issuance and renewal
§ 4501:7-1-22. Firearm bearer notation issuance and renewal
[Comment: Information regarding the availability and effective date of the materials incorporated by reference in this rule can be found in paragraph (M) of rule 4501:7-1-01 of the Administrative Code.]
(A) Any person who wishes to carry a firearm in the course of engaging in the business of private investigation, security services, or both shall:
(1) Submit either a paper or an electronic "Firearm Bearer Notation Application" accompanied by the fee provided for in section 4749.10 of the Revised Code. The fee may be paid electronically, or if a paper application is submitted, may be paid by check or money order payable to Ohio treasurer of state.
(a) A certificate of satisfactory completion of a basic firearm training program from the "Ohio Peace Officer Training Commission" (OPOTC) which includes at least twenty hours in handgun training at a commission approved training school;
(b) An equivalency letter from OPOTC if the person successfully completed a firearm training program approved by OPOTC as being equivalent to the twenty hour basic firearm training from 1982 to 1985; or
(c) A certificate or other evidence of satisfactory completion of a firearms training course at a certified OPOTC training school or law enforcement academy, if the applicant is a current or former peace officer, Ohio state highway patrol officer, or federal officer.
(3) If the certificate described in paragraph (A)(2)(a) of this rule was obtained more than eighteen months prior to the date of application, submit a certificate of satisfactory requalification in firearms use on a firearms training range at a firearms requalification program certified by the OPOTC or on a firearms training range under the supervision of an instructor certified by the OPOTC within the twelve months immediately preceding the date of submitting the "Firearm Bearer Notation Application."
(4) If the applicant intends to carry a firearm other than a handgun, the applicant shall submit a certificate of satisfactory completion of a minimum of five hours of training in the use of the other type of firearm from an OPOTC approved training program. Such certificate much be submitted for each type of firearm the applicant intends to carry.
(5) For the purpose of a state and federal bureau of investigation background check, submit directly to the bureau of criminal identification and investigation, with direct copy to the department, a complete set of fingerprints along with notification that the applicant intends to carry a firearm in the course of business.
(B) If upon review of the application materials submitted under this rule and the applicant's criminal background check, the director determines that the applicant meets the requirements set forth in section 4749.10 of the Revised Code, this rule, and is not subject to any state or federal firearms disabilities as set forth in section 2923.13 of the Revised Code and 18 USC 922(g), the director shall issue the applicant an employee registration card with a firearm bearer notation. The employee registration card with firearm bearer notion shall indicate the types of firearms the firearm bearer notation holder is authorized to carry in the course of his or her duties, the date of expiration of the firearm bearer notation, and the date of expiration of the employee registration card.
(C) The firearm bearer notation and the employee registration card may have different expiration dates. A firearm bearer notation is valid only until the date of expiration listed on the firearm bearer notation, even if the employee registration card has a later expiration date.
(1) The initial firearm bearer notation is valid for eighteen months from the date of qualification listed on certificate submitted under paragraph (B) of this rule and subsequent renewals of the firearm bearer notation expire twelve months from the date of requalification listed on the certificate of satisfactory requalification.
(2) A firearm bearer notation may be renewed by submitting a "Firearm Bearer Notation Application" accompanied by the fee provided for in section 4749.10 of the Revised Code, and submitting a certificate of satisfactory requalification for each type of firearm the person intends to carry. The requalification training must occur within twelve months immediately preceding the date of renewal submission.
(3) If a firearm bearer renewal application is not received by the department on or before the firearm bearer notation expiration date, the firearm bearer notation is expired and will not be renewed. An application for a new firearm bearer notation shall be submitted in accordance with paragraph (A) of this rule. If the employee registration card is unexpired, the employee may continue to provide unarmed private investigative, security services, or both.
(4) Regardless of the firearm bearer notation expiration date, if the employee registration card expires or if the department revokes, suspends, or refuses to renew the employee registration card, the firearm bearer notation shall automatically be expired, revoked, suspended, or not renewed.(Effective: 3/1/2021 Five Year Review (FYR) Dates: 6/26/2020 and 06/01/2025 Promulgated Under: 119.03 Statutory Authority: 4749.02 Rule Amplifies: 4749.10 Prior Effective Dates: 12/01/2018)
The following state regulations pages link to this page.