Tenn. Comp. R. & Regs. 0460-04-.05 - NITROUS OXIDE CERTIFICATION
Dental assistants may not administer nitrous oxide to patients but may monitor nitrous oxide sedation (as defined in rule 0460-02-.07 ) upon becoming certified pursuant to the following process:
(1) A dental assistant must be currently registered, pursuant to Rule 0460-04-.02, by the Board in order to be eligible to attend a certification course in monitoring nitrous oxide and/or qualify for certification.
(2) To be eligible for certification, the registered dental assistant must successfully complete a Board-approved nitrous oxide monitoring certification course, or have successfully completed a comparable training course in another state, or be currently enrolled in an ADA-accredited or Board-approved program which offers this course as part of their curriculum. Once eligible for certification, the registered dental assistant shall not monitor nitrous oxide until certification has been issued by the Board.
(3) If the registered dental assistant completed a nitrous oxide monitoring course in another state which was approved by the board in the other state, the Board consultant must determine the course to be equivalent to the Board-approved course in Tennessee. The information regarding content of the course and proof of completion must be sent directly from the course provider to the Board's administrative office. If a certification or permit was issued by the other state, verification of the certificate or permit must be received directly from the other board. Once eligible for certification, the registered dental assistant shall not monitor nitrous oxide until certification has been issued by the Board.
(4) Nitrous oxide monitoring certification shall be added to the registration of the registered dental assistant, if the registered dental assistant has successfully completed a Board-approved certification course and notification of completion has been submitted to the Board's Administrative Office by the course director on a form provided by the Board.
(5) Registered dental assistants with nitrous oxide monitoring certification shall only monitor patients under the direct supervision of a licensed Tennessee dentist. This assistant shall not monitor more than one (1) patient at a time and shall physically remain with the patient at all times.
(6) Registered dental assistants with nitrous oxide monitoring certification are not permitted to administer nitrous oxide. This assistant is only permitted to adjust the dosage or terminate the nitrous oxide at the specific direction and under the protocol of the supervising dentist or in cases of patient distress.
(7) Registered dental assistants with nitrous oxide monitoring certification shall prominently display their current registration certificate, which is received upon registration and renewal, at their place of employment.
(8) Certification in monitoring nitrous oxide is only valid as long as the registered dental assistant has a current registration. If the registration expires or is retired, the certification is also considered expired or retired and the dental assistant may not monitor nitrous oxide until the registration is reinstated or reactivated.
(9) Application review and decisions required by this Rule shall be governed by 0460-01-.04.
Authority: T.C.A. §§ 4-5-202, 4-5-204, 63-5-105, 63-5-105(3), 63-5-105(4), 63-5-105(7), 63-5-108, 63-5-108(b) through 63-5-108(d), and 63-5-115.
State regulations are updated quarterly; we currently have two versions available. Below is a comparison between our most recent version and the prior quarterly release. More comparison features will be added as we have more versions to compare.
No prior version found.