R152-11-2 - Exclusions and Limitations in Advertisement
R152-11-2. Exclusions and Limitations in Advertisement
A. It is a deceptive act or practice for a supplier in connection with a consumer transaction, in the sale or offering for sale of a consumer commodity to make any offer in written or printed advertising or promotional literature without stating clearly and conspicuously in close proximity to the words stating the offer of any material exclusions, reservations, limitations, modifications, or conditions. The following are examples of the types of material exclusions, reservations, limitations, modifications, or conditions of offers which must be clearly stated:
(1) An advertisement for any consumer commodity not disclosing the amount of any additional charge for any of the features displayed or listed in the advertisement would be deceptive.
(2) An advertisement for an article of clothing must state that there is an additional charge for sizes above or below a certain size if such is the case.
(3) An advertisement which offers floor covering with an additional charge for room sizes above or below a certain size must disclose the nature and amount of additional charge.
(4) An advertisement for a consumer commodity sold from more than one outlet under the direct control of the supplier causing the advertisement to be made must state:
(a) Which outlets within the area served by the publication in which the advertisement appears either have or do not have certain features mentioned in the advertisement;
(b) Which outlets within the area served by the publication in which the advertisement appears charge rates higher than the rate mentioned in advertisement. For example:TABLE "Rug Shampooer - $15.00 a day at West 3rd Street South Office - all other locations are more."
(c) An advertisement for a consumer commodity sold from outlets not under the direct control of the supplier causing the advertisement to be made does not violate Section 2a(4)(a) or 2a(4)(b) of this rule if it states that the consumer commodity is available only at participating independent dealers.
(5) An advertisement for any consumer commodity requiring installation must reflect the exact price of the commodity and if the price includes installation or if installation is additional.
(6) If the advertised price is available only during certain hours of the day or certain days of the week that fact must be stated along with the hours and days the price is available.
(7) If the advertisement involves or pictures more than one consumer commodity (for example: a sofa, cocktail table and two commodes) and the advertised price applies only if the complete set is purchased, that fact must be stated.
(8) If there is a minimum amount (or maximum amount) that must be purchased for the advertised price to apply, that fact must be stated.
(9) If an advertisement specifies a price for a consumer commodity which includes a trade-in, that fact must be stated. For example: a 6 volt battery for $50.00 plus your old battery.
(10) If there are "additional" items that must be purchased for the advertised price to apply that fact must be so stated.
(11) These examples are intended to be illustrative only and do not limit the scope of any section of the Utah Consumer Sales Practices Act or of this or any other rule or regulation.
B. Offers made orally, such as through radio or television advertising, must include a conspicuously clear and oral statement of any material exclusions, reservations, modifications, or conditions.
C. If an error is made in advertising, either by pricing, wording, picture, or description, it shall be the responsibility of the supplier to retract or correct the error. A retraction is necessary when it cannot be shown that the error was due to the fault of the advertising medium. If it can be documented that the responsibility rests with the advertising medium, a retraction by the supplier is not necessary but the supplier may post a correction in close proximity to the merchandise which was advertised incorrectly.
The following state regulations pages link to this page.