Utah Admin. Code R337-4-2 - Definitions
(1) "Capital and surplus" means shares, deposits, reserves, and undivided earnings.
(2) "Commissioner" means the Commissioner of Financial Institutions.
(3) "Credit union service organization" means an organization owned by one or more credit unions which provides any of the following services:
(a) Checking and currency services:
(i) Check cashing;
(ii) Coin and currency services, and
(iii)Money order, savings bonds, travelers checks, and purchase and sale of U.S. Mint commemorative coins services;
(b) Clerical, professional and management services:
(i) Accounting services;
(ii) Courier services;
(iv) Facsimile transmissions and copying services;
(v) Internal audits for credit unions;
(vi) Locator services;
(vii)Management and personnel training and support;
(ix)Research services; and
(X) Supervisory committee audits;
(c) Consumer mortgage loan origination;
(d) Electronic transaction services;
(i) Automated teller machines (ATM) services;
(ii) Credit card and debit card services;
(iv) Electronic fund transfer (EFT) services;
(v) Electronic income tax filing;
(vi) Payment item processing;
(vii)Wire transfer services; and
(viii)Cyber financial services;
(e) Financial counseling services:
(i) Developing and administering Individual Retirement Accounts (IRA), Keogh, deferred compensation, and other personnel benefit plans;
(ii) Estate planning;
(iii)Financial planning and counseling;
(iv) Income tax preparation;
(v) Investment counseling; and
(vi) Retirement counseling;
(f) Fixed asset services:
(i) Management, development, sale, or lease of fixed assets; and
(ii) Sale, lease, or servicing of computer hardware or software;
(g) Insurance brokerage or agency:
(i) Agency for sale of insurance;
(ii) Provision of vehicle warranty programs; and
(iii) Provision of group purchasing programs;
(i) Personal property; and
(ii) Real estate leasing of excess credit union service organization property;
(i) Loan support services:
(i) Debt collection services;
(ii) Loan processing, servicing, and sales; and
(iii)Sale of repossessed collateral;
(j) Loans and extensions of credit;
(k) Member business loans;
(l) Record retention, security and disaster recovery services:
(i) Alarm-monitoring and other security services;
(ii) Disaster recovery services;
(iii)Microfilm, microfiche, optical and electronic imaging, CD-ROM data storage and retrieval services;
(iv) Provision of forms and supplies; and
(v) Record retention and storage;
(m) Securities brokerage services;
(n) Shared credit union branch (service center) operations;
(o) Student loan origination;
(p) Travel agency services;
(q) Trust and trust-related services:
(i) Acting as administrator for prepaid legal service plans;
(ii) Acting as trustee, guardian, conservator, estate administrator, or in any other fiduciary capacity;
(iii)Trust services; and
(r) credit union service organization investments in non-credit union service organization service providers: In connection with providing a permissible service, a credit union service organization may invest in a non- credit union service organization service provider. The amount of the credit union service organization's investment is limited to the amount necessary to participate in the service provider, or a greater amount if necessary to receive a reduced price for goods or services.
(4) "Loans and extensions of credit" means any direct or indirect advance of funds in any manner whatsoever to a member, that is made on the basis of any obligation of that member to repay the funds, or repayable from specific property pledged by or on behalf of a member. "Loans and extensions of credit" includes:
(a) A contractual commitment to advance funds;
(b) An acquisition by discount, purchase, exchange, or otherwise of any note, draft, or other evidence of indebtedness upon which a member may be liable as maker, drawer, endorser, guarantor, or surety;
(c) A participation without recourse, with regard to the participating credit union service organization.
(5) "Loans and extensions of credit" does not include:
(a) An endorsement or guarantee for the protection of a credit union and credit union service organization of any loan or other asset previously acquired by the credit union service organization in good faith or any indebtedness to a credit union and the credit union service organization for the purpose of protecting the credit union and the credit union service organization against loss or of giving financial assistance to it;
(b) The purchase of investment grade securities subject to a repurchase agreement in which the purchasing credit union has a perfected security interest, or where the securities are purchased from the state or any political subdivision thereof;
(c) Loans or extensions of credit which have become unenforceable by reason of discharge in bankruptcy or are no longer legally enforceable for other reasons.
(6) "Member" means a member of a stockholder credit union.
(7) "Participation" means the purchase or sale by a lender of a loan or part of a loan under circumstances in which the acquiring institution;
(a) Has no formal or direct role in establishing the terms and conditions binding the borrower; or
(b) is not a signatory of the loan agreement binding the borrower.
(8) "Participation agreement" means an agreement between the lead financial institution and the participant financial institution spelling out in detail the terms, conditions, and understandings between the parties to a loan participation.
(9) "Recourse" means an oral or written agreement whereby a selling institution of a loan or participation in a loan agrees to repurchase in whole or in part upon request of the purchaser or the seller.
(10) "Well capitalized" means "well capitalized" as defined in 12 U.S.C. Sec. 1790d(c)(1).
State regulations are updated quarterly; we currently have two versions available. Below is a comparison between our most recent version and the prior quarterly release. More comparison features will be added as we have more versions to compare.
No prior version found.