Utah Admin. Code R590-146-4 - Definitions
For purposes of this rule:
A. "Applicant" means:
(1) in the case of an individual Medicare supplement policy, the person who seeks to contract for insurance benefits, and
(2) in the case of a group Medicare supplement policy, the proposed certificateholder.
B. "Bankruptcy" means when a Medicare Advantage organization that is not an issuer has filed, or has had filed against it, a petition for declaration of bankruptcy and has ceased doing business in the state.
C. "Certificate" means any certificate delivered or issued for delivery in this state under a group Medicare supplement policy.
D. "Certificate form" means the form on which the certificate is delivered or issued for delivery by the issuer.
E. "Continuous period of creditable coverage" means the period during which an individual was covered by creditable coverage, if during the period of the coverage the individual had no breaks in coverage greater than 63 days.
F. "Employee welfare benefit plan" means a plan, fund or program of employee benefits as defined in 29 U.S.C. Section 1002, Employee Retirement Income Security Act.
G. "Insolvency" means when an issuer, licensed to transact the business of insurance in this state, has had a final order of liquidation entered against it with a finding of insolvency by a court of competent jurisdiction in the issuer's state of domicile.
H. "Issuer" means an insurance company, fraternal benefit society, health care service plan, health maintenance organization, and any other entity delivering or issuing for delivery in this state a Medicare supplement policy or certificate.
I. "Medicare" means the "Health Insurance for the Aged Act," Title XVIII of the Social Security Amendments of 1965, as then constituted or later amended.
J. "Medicare Advantage plan" means a plan of coverage for health benefits under Medicare Part C as defined in 42 U.S.C. 1395w-28(b)(1), and includes:
(1) coordinated care plans which provide health care services, including but not limited to health maintenance organization plans, with or without a point-of-service option, plans offered by provider-sponsored organizations, and preferred provider organization plans;
(2) medical savings account plans coupled with a contribution into a Medicare Advantage plan medical savings account; and
(3) Medicare Advantage private fee-for-service plans.
(1) "Medicare supplement policy" means a group or individual policy of accident and health insurance or a subscriber contract of hospital and medical service associations or health maintenance organizations, other than a policy issued pursuant to a contract under Section 1876 of the federal Social Security Act, 42 U.S.C. Section 1395 et seq., or an issued policy under a demonstration project specified in 42 U.S.C. Section 1395 ss(g)(1), which is advertised, marketed or designed primarily as a supplement to reimbursements under Medicare for the hospital, medical or surgical expenses of persons eligible for Medicare.
(2) "Medicare supplement policy" does not include Medicare Advantage plans established under Medicare Part C, Outpatient Prescription Drug plans established under Medicare Part D, or any Health Care Prepayment Plan, HCPP, that provides benefits pursuant to an agreement under Section 1833(a)(1)(A) of the Social Security Act.
L. "Newly eligible" means those individuals who become eligible for Medicare due to age, disability or end-stage renal disease on or after January 1, 2020.
M. "Pre-Standardized Medicare supplement benefit plan," "Pre-Standardized benefit plan" or "Pre-Standardized plan" means a group or individual policy of Medicare supplement insurance issued prior to December 12, 1994.
N. "1990 Standardized Medicare supplement benefit plan," "1990 Standardized benefit plan" or "1990 plan" means a group or individual policy of Medicare supplement insurance issued on or after July 30, 1992 and with an effective date of coverage prior to June 1, 2010 and includes Medicare supplement insurance policies and certificates renewed on or after that date which are not replaced by the issuer at the request of the insured.
O. "2010 Standardized Medicare supplement benefit plan," "2010 Standardized benefit plan" or "2010 plan" means a group or individual policy of Medicare supplement insurance issued with an effective date of coverage on or after June 1, 2010.
P. "Policy form" means the form on which the policy is delivered or issued for delivery by the issuer.
Q. "Secretary" means the Secretary of the United States Department of Health and Human Services.
State regulations are updated quarterly; we currently have two versions available. Below is a comparison between our most recent version and the prior quarterly release. More comparison features will be added as we have more versions to compare.
No prior version found.