2 Va. Admin. Code § 5-585-900 - Food labels
Current through Register Vol. 38, No. 3, September 27, 2021
Statutory Authority: § 3.2-5121 of the Code of Virginia.
The following state regulations pages link to this page.
State regulations are updated quarterly; we currently have two versions available. Below is a comparison between our most recent version and the prior quarterly release. More comparison features will be added as we have more versions to compare.
2VAC5-585-900. Food labels.
B. Label information shall include:
1. The common name of the food, or absent a common name, an adequately descriptive identity statement;
2. If made from two or more ingredients, a list of ingredients and subingredients in descending order of predominance by weight, including a declaration of artificial colors, artificial flavors, and chemical preservatives, if contained in the food;
3. An accurate declaration of the net quantity of contents;
4. The name and place of business of the manufacturer, packer, or distributor;
5. The name of the food source for each major food allergen contained in the food unless the food source is already part of the common or usual name of the respective ingredient;Pf
7. For any salmonid fish containing canthaxanthin or astaxanthin as a color additive, the labeling of the bulk fish container, including a list of ingredients, displayed on the retail container or by other written means, such as a counter card, that discloses the use of canthaxanthin or astaxanthin.
C. Bulk food that is available for consumer self-dispensing shall be prominently labeled with the following information in plain view of the consumer:
1. The manufacturer's or processor's label that was provided with the food; or
2. A card, sign, or other method of notification that includes the information specified under subdivisions B 1, 2, and 6 of this section.
D. Bulk, unpackaged foods such as bakery products and unpackaged foods that are portioned to consumer specification need not be labeled if:
1. A health, nutrient content, or other claim is not made;
2. There are no state or local laws requiring labeling; and
3. The food is manufactured or prepared on the premises of the food establishment or at another food establishment or a food processing plant that is owned by the same person and is regulated by the food regulatory agency that has jurisdiction.
§ 3.2-5121 of the Code of Virginia.
Derived from Volume 24, Issue 02, eff. October 16, 2007; amended, Virginia Register Volume 26, Issue 07, eff. January 1, 2010; Volume 32, Issue 22, eff. July 12, 2016.