Wash. Admin. Code § 246-470-010 - Definitions
The definitions in this section apply throughout this chapter unless the context clearly indicates otherwise:
(1) "Authentication" means information, electronic device, or certificate provided by the department or their designee to a data requestor to electronically access prescription monitoring information. The authentication may include, but is not limited to, a user name, password, or an identification electronic device or certificate.
(2) "Controlled substance" has the same meaning provided in RCW 69.50.101.
(3)"Department" means the department of health.
(4) "Dispenser" means a practitioner or pharmacy that delivers to the ultimate user a schedule II, III, IV, or V controlled substance or other drugs identified by the pharmacy quality assurance commission in WAC 246-470-020, but does not include:
(a) A practitioner or other authorized person who only administers, as defined in RCW 69.41.010, a controlled substance or other drugs identified by the pharmacy quality assurance commission in WAC 246-470-020;
(b) A licensed wholesale distributor or manufacturer, as defined in chapter 18.64 RCW, of a controlled substance or other drugs identified by the pharmacy quality assurance commission in WAC 246-470-020; or
(c) A veterinarian licensed under chapter 18.92 RCW. Data submission requirements for veterinarians are included in WAC 246-470-035.
(5) "Indirect patient identifiers" means data that may include: Hospital or provider identifiers; a five-digit zip code, county, state, and country of residence; dates that include month and year; age in years; and race and ethnicity; but does not include the patient's first name; middle name; last name; Social Security number; control or medical record number; zip code plus four digits; dates that include day, month, and year; or admission and discharge date in combination.
(6) "Local health officer" means the legally qualified physician who has been appointed as the health officer for a county or district health department, consistent with RCW 70.05.010(2).
(7) "Qualifying medical test site" means a medical test site licensed by the department under chapter 70.42 RCW, and certified as a drug testing laboratory by the United States department of health and human services, substance abuse and mental health services administration.
(8) "Patient" means the person or animal who is the ultimate user of a drug for whom a prescription is issued or for whom a drug is dispensed.
(9) "Patient address" means the current geographic location of the patient's residence. If the patient address is in care of another person or entity, the address of that person or entity is the "patient address" of record. When alternate addresses are possible, they must be recorded in the following order of preference:
(a) The geographical location of the residence, as would be identified when a telephone is used to place a 9-1-1 call; or
(b) An address as listed by the United States Postal Service; or
(c) The common name of the residence and town.
(10) "Pharmacist" means a person licensed to engage in the practice of pharmacy.
(11) "Prescriber" means a licensed health care professional with authority to prescribe controlled substances or legend drugs.
(12) "Prescription monitoring information" means information submitted to and maintained by the prescription monitoring program.
(13) "Program" means the prescription monitoring program established under chapter 70.225 RCW.
(14) "Valid photographic identification" means:
(a) A driver's license or instruction permit issued by any United States state or province of Canada. If the patient's driver's license has expired, the patient must also show a valid temporary driver's license with the expired card.
(b) A state identification card issued by any United States state or province of Canada.
(c) An official passport issued by any nation.
(d) A United States armed forces identification card issued to active duty, reserve, and retired personnel and the personnel's dependents.
(e) A merchant marine identification card issued by the United States Coast Guard.
(f) A state liquor control identification card. An official age identification card issued by the liquor control authority of any United States state or Canadian province.
(g) An enrollment card issued by the governing authority of a federally recognized Indian tribe located in Washington, if the enrollment card incorporates security features comparable to those implemented by the department of licensing for Washington drivers' licenses and are recognized by the liquor control board.
Statutory Authority: RCW 70.225.025 and 70.225.020. 13-12-025, § 246-470-010, filed 5/28/13, effective 6/28/13. Statutory Authority: Chapter 70.225 RCW and 2007 c 259. 11-16-041, § 246-470-010, filed 7/27/11, effective 8/27/11.
State regulations are updated quarterly; we currently have two versions available. Below is a comparison between our most recent version and the prior quarterly release. More comparison features will be added as we have more versions to compare.
No prior version found.