Rule 8007. Stay Pending Appeal; Bonds; Suspension of Proceedings

Primary tabs

(a) Initial Motion in the Bankruptcy Court.

(1) In General. Ordinarily, a party must move first in the bankruptcy court for the following relief:

(A) a stay of a judgment, order, or decree of the bankruptcy court pending appeal;

(B) the approval of a bond or other security provided to obtain a stay of judgment;

(C) an order suspending, modifying, restoring, or granting an injunction while an appeal is pending; or

(D) the suspension or continuation of proceedings in a case or other relief permitted by subdivision (e).

(2) Time to File. The motion may be made either before or after the notice of appeal is filed.

(b) Motion in the District Court, the BAP, or the Court of Appeals on Direct Appeal.

(1) Request for Relief. A motion for the relief specified in subdivision (a)(1)—or to vacate or modify a bankruptcy court's order granting such relief—may be made in the court where the appeal is pending.

(2) Showing or Statement Required. The motion must:

(A) show that moving first in the bankruptcy court would be impracticable; or

(B) if a motion was made in the bankruptcy court, either state that the court has not yet ruled on the motion, or state that the court has ruled and set out any reasons given for the ruling.

(3) Additional Content. The motion must also include:

(A) the reasons for granting the relief requested and the facts relied upon;

(B) affidavits or other sworn statements supporting facts subject to dispute; and

(C) relevant parts of the record.

(4) Serving Notice. The movant must give reasonable notice of the motion to all parties.

(c) Filing a Bond or Other Security. The district court, BAP, or court of appeals may condition relief on filing a bond or other security with the bankruptcy court.

(d) Bond or Other Security for a Trustee or the United States. The court may require a trustee to file a bond or other security when the trustee appeals. A bond or other security is not required when an appeal is taken by the United States, its officer, or its agency or by direction of any department of the federal government.

(e) Continuation of Proceedings in the Bankruptcy Court. Despite Rule 7062 and subject to the authority of the district court, BAP, or court of appeals, the bankruptcy court may:

(1) suspend or order the continuation of other proceedings in the case; or

(2) issue any other appropriate orders during the pendency of an appeal to protect the rights of all parties in interest.

(Added Apr. 25, 2014, eff. Dec. 1, 2014.)

Prior Rule

A prior Rule 8007, Apr. 25, 1983, eff. Aug. 1, 1983, as amended Mar. 30, 1987, eff. Aug. 1, 1987; Apr. 30, 1991, eff. Aug. 1, 1991, related to completion and transmission of the record and docketing of the appeal, prior to revision of Part VIII, Apr. 25, 2014, eff. Dec. 1, 2014.

Committee Notes on Rules—2014

This rule is derived from former Rule 8005 and F.R.App.P. 8. It now applies to direct appeals in courts of appeals.

Subdivision (a), like the former rule, requires a party ordinarily to seek relief pending an appeal in the bankruptcy court. Subdivision (a)(1) expands the list of relief enumerated in F.R.App.P. 8(a)(1) to reflect bankruptcy practice. It includes the suspension or continuation of other proceedings in the bankruptcy case, as authorized by subdivision (e). Subdivision (a)(2) clarifies that a motion for a stay pending appeal, approval of a supersedeas bond, or any other relief specified in paragraph (1) may be made in the bankruptcy court before or after the filing of a notice of appeal.

Subdivision (b) authorizes a party to seek the relief specified in (a)(1), or the vacation or modification of the granting of such relief, by means of a motion filed in the court where the appeal is pending—district court, BAP, or the court of appeals on direct appeal. Accordingly, a notice of appeal need not be filed with respect to a bankruptcy court's order granting or denying such a motion. The motion for relief in the district court, BAP, or court of appeals must state why it was impracticable to seek relief initially in the bankruptcy court, if a motion was not filed there, or why the bankruptcy court denied the relief sought.

Subdivisions (c) and (d) retain the provisions of the former rule that permit the district court or BAP—and now the court of appeals—to condition the granting of relief on the posting of a bond by the appellant, except when that party is a federal government entity. Rule 9025 governs proceedings against sureties.

Subdivision (e) retains the provision of the former rule that authorizes the bankruptcy court to decide whether to suspend or allow the continuation of other proceedings in the bankruptcy case while the matter for which a stay has been sought is pending on appeal.

Changes Made After Publication and Comment. The clause "or where it will be taken" was deleted in subdivision (b)(1). Stylistic changes were made to the titles of subdivisions (b) and (e) and in subdivision (e)(1). A discussion of subdivision (e) was added to the Committee Note.

Committee Notes on Rules—2018

The amendments to subdivisions (a)(1)(B), (c), and (d) conform this rule with the amendment of Rule 62 F.R.Civ.P., which is made applicable to adversary proceedings by Rule 7062. Rule 62 formerly required a party to provide a “supersedeas bond” to obtain a stay of the judgment and proceedings to enforce the judgment. As amended, Rule 62(b) allows a party to obtain a stay by providing a “bond or other security.”