10 U.S. Code § 14101 - Convening of selection boards
prev | next
(a) Promotion Boards.—
(1) Whenever the needs of the Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marine Corps require, the Secretary concerned shall convene a selection board to recommend for promotion to the next higher grade, under chapter 1405 of this title, officers on the reserve active-status list of that armed force in a permanent grade from first lieutenant through brigadier general or, in the case of the Navy Reserve, lieutenant (junior grade) through rear admiral (lower half). A selection board convened under this subsection shall be known as a “promotion board”.
(2) A promotion board convened to recommend reserve officers of the Army or reserve officers of the Air Force for promotion
(A) to fill a position vacancy under section 14315 of this title, or
(B) to the grade of brigadier general or major general, shall be known as a “vacancy promotion board”. Any other promotion board convened under this subsection shall be known as a “mandatory promotion board”.
(3) Paragraph (1) does not require the convening of a selection board in the case of officers in the permanent grade of first lieutenant or, in the case of the Navy, lieutenant (junior grade) when the Secretary concerned recommends for promotion to the next higher grade under section 14308 (b)(4) of this title all such officers whom the Secretary finds to be fully qualified for promotion.
(b) Selective Early Separation Boards.— Whenever the needs of the Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marine Corps require, the Secretary concerned may convene a selection board to recommend officers of that armed force—
(1) for selective early removal from the reserve active-status list under section 14704 of this title; or
(2) for selective early retirement under section 14705 of this title.
Source(Added Pub. L. 103–337, div. A, title XVI, § 1611,Oct. 5, 1994, 108 Stat. 2924; amended Pub. L. 105–85, div. A, title V, § 514(a),Nov. 18, 1997, 111 Stat. 1732; Pub. L. 107–107, div. A, title V, § 505(b)(3),Dec. 28, 2001, 115 Stat. 1087; Pub. L. 108–136, div. A, title V, § 511(b)(1),Nov. 24, 2003, 117 Stat. 1459; Pub. L. 109–163, div. A, title V, § 515(b)(1)(PP),Jan. 6, 2006, 119 Stat. 3234.)
2006—Subsec. (a)(1). Pub. L. 109–163substituted “Navy Reserve” for “Naval Reserve”.
2003—Subsec. (b). Pub. L. 108–136, § 511(b)(1)(A), (D), substituted “Selective Early Separation Boards” for “Continuation Boards” in heading and struck out concluding provisions which read as follows: “A selection board convened under this subsection shall be known as a ‘continuation board’.”
Subsec. (b)(1) to (3). Pub. L. 108–136, § 511(b)(1)(B), (C), redesignated pars. (2) and (3) as (1) and (2), respectively, and struck out former par. (1) which read as follows: “for continuation on the reserve active-status list under section 14701 of this title;”.
2001—Subsec. (a)(3). Pub. L. 107–107added par. (3).
1997—Subsec. (a)(2). Pub. L. 105–85struck out “(except in the case of a board convened to consider officers as provided in section 14301 (e) of this title)” before “be known as a ‘vacancy promotion board’.”
LII has no control over and does not endorse any external Internet site that contains links to or references LII.