10 U.S. Code § 1439. Refund of amounts deducted from retired pay

If a person whose name is on the temporary disability retired list of an armed force, and who has elected an annuity under this subchapter, has his name removed from that list for any reason other than retirement or grant of retired pay, he is entitled to a refund of the difference between the amount by which his retired pay was reduced to provide the annuity and the cost of an amount of term insurance equal to the protection provided for his dependents during the period that he was on that list.

(Aug. 10, 1956, ch. 1041, 70A Stat. 111; Pub. L. 92–425, § 1(2)(A), Sept. 21, 1972, 86 Stat. 706.)

Historical and Revision Notes

Revised section

Source (U.S. Code)

Source (Statutes at Large)



Aug. 8, 1953, ch. 393, § 4(d), 67 Stat. 503.

The words “person whose name is on” are substituted for the words “Any active member or former member on the”. The words “is entitled to a refund” are substituted for the words “shall have refunded to him”. The words “permanent”, “a sum which represents”, and “in accordance with his election under section 372 of this title” are omitted as surplusage. The words “retirement or grant of retired pay” are substituted for the words “permanent retirement”, since under chapter 67 of this title a member of the Army or Air Force may be granted retired pay without being retired.


1972—Pub. L. 92–425 substituted “subchapter” for “chapter”.