12 U.S. Code § 4545 - Fair housing
The Secretary of Housing and Urban Development shall—
(1) by regulation, prohibit each enterprise from discriminating in any manner in the purchase of any mortgage because of race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status, age, or national origin, including any consideration of the age or location of the dwelling or the age of the neighborhood or census tract where the dwelling is located in a manner that has a discriminatory effect;
(2) by regulation, require each enterprise to submit data to the Secretary to assist the Secretary in investigating whether a mortgage lender with which the enterprise does business has failed to comply with the Fair Housing Act [42 U.S.C. 3601 et seq.];
(3) by regulation, require each enterprise to submit data to the Secretary to assist in investigating whether a mortgage lender with which the enterprise does business has failed to comply with the Equal Credit Opportunity Act [15 U.S.C. 1691 et seq.], and shall submit any such information received to the appropriate Federal agencies, as provided in section 704 of the Equal Credit Opportunity Act [15 U.S.C. 1691c], for appropriate action;
(4) obtain information from other regulatory and enforcement agencies of the Federal Government and State and local governments regarding violations by lenders of the Fair Housing Act and the Equal Credit Opportunity Act and make such information available to the enterprises;
(5) direct the enterprises to undertake various remedial actions, including suspension, probation, reprimand, or settlement, against lenders that have been found to have engaged in discriminatory lending practices in violation of the Fair Housing Act or the Equal Credit Opportunity Act, pursuant to a final adjudication on the record, and after opportunity for an administrative hearing, in accordance with subchapter II of chapter 5 of title 5; and
Source(Pub. L. 102–550, title XIII, § 1325,Oct. 28, 1992, 106 Stat. 3955; Pub. L. 110–289, div. A, title I, § 1122(b),July 30, 2008, 122 Stat. 2689.)
References in Text
The Fair Housing Act, referred to in pars. (2) and (4) to (6), is title VIII of Pub. L. 90–284, Apr. 11, 1968, 82 Stat. 81, as amended, which is classified principally to subchapter I (§ 3601 et seq.) of chapter 45 of Title 42, The Public Health and Welfare. For complete classification of this Act to the Code, see Short Title note set out under section 3601 of Title 42 and Tables.
The Equal Credit Opportunity Act, referred to in pars. (3) to (5), is title VII of Pub. L. 90–321, as added by Pub. L. 93–495, title V, § 503,Oct. 28, 1974, 88 Stat. 1521, as amended, which is classified generally to subchapter IV (§ 1691 et seq.) of chapter 41 of Title 15, Commerce and Trade. For complete classification of this Act to the Code, see Short Title note set out under section 1601 of Title 15 and Tables.
2008—Pub. L. 110–289inserted “of Housing and Urban Development” after “The Secretary” in introductory provisions.
LII has no control over and does not endorse any external Internet site that contains links to or references LII.