16 U.S. Code § 410z - Establishment
prev | next
(a) Acquisition of properties by donation or with donated funds
In order to preserve for the benefit and inspiration of the people of the United States as a national historical park certain historic structures and properties of outstanding national significance located in Boston, Massachusetts, and associated with the American Revolution and the founding and growth of the United States, the Secretary of the Interior (hereinafter referred to as the “Secretary”) may, in accordance with the provisions of this subchapter, acquire by donation or by purchase with donated funds, all lands and improvements thereon or interests therein comprising the following described areas:
(b) Acquisition of properties with appropriated funds
In the event that the properties described in this section are not donated to the United States or purchased with donated funds, they may be acquired by the Secretary with appropriated funds: Provided, That, except for privately held lands within the Charlestown Navy Yard as described in subsection (d) of this section, the Secretary shall not acquire any such properties by eminent domain so long as he determines that a binding, written cooperative agreement, assuring the preservation and historical integrity of such properties remains in force and effect. Lands owned by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, or any of its political subdivisions, may be acquired only by donation.
(c) Publication of notice
At such time as the Secretary determines that sufficient lands, improvements, and interests therein have been acquired or that cooperative agreements satisfying the preservation and historical objective of this subchapter have been executed, he may establish the Boston National Historical Park by publication of notice to that effect in the Federal Register, together with a detailed description or map setting forth the properties included therein.
(d) Charlestown Navy Yard
As used in this section, the Charlestown Navy Yard shall include the United States Ship Constitution and the lands generally depicted on the map entitled “Boundary Map: Charlestown Naval Shipyard—U.S.S. Constitution, Boston National Historical Park”, numbered BONA 20,000 and dated March 1974 which shall be on file and available in the offices of the Director of the National Park Service, Department of the Interior, Washington, D.C. As used in this section, the Charlestown Navy Yard shall also include the properties known as the Ropewalk and Tar House and the Chain Forge and Round House, designated on such map as buildings numbered 58, 60, and 105. All right, title, and interest in the Federal properties and improvements included therein shall be transferred to the Secretary of the Interior: Provided, That he may, by written agreement with the Secretary of the Navy, permit the continued use of any such buildings and facilities as the Secretary of the Interior determines to be necessary for the preservation and maintenance of the Constitution, which agreement shall provide that the Department of the Navy shall transfer to the Department of the Interior funds sufficient to cover the costs attributable to the functions and services which are provided by the Department of the Interior. The Secretary shall consult with representatives of the city of Boston and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts concerning the development of suitable transportation plans consistent with the purposes for which the Navy Yard was included in the historical park and the Secretary is authorized to grant, in accordance with such terms and conditions as he deems necessary and consistent with the purposes of this subchapter, easements and rights-of-way to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts or any political subdivision thereof including the Boston Redevelopment Authority for purposes of the vehicular, pedestrian and utility access to that portion of the Boston Navy Yard outside the boundaries of the Park. Such grants of easements and rights-of-way shall be upon the express condition that the grantee convey to the United States the property known as Building No. 107, being a part of the Boston Navy Yard and owned by the Boston Redevelopment Authority.
Source(Pub. L. 93–431, § 2,Oct. 1, 1974, 88 Stat. 1184; Pub. L. 95–625, title III, § 310(a), (d),Nov. 10, 1978, 92 Stat. 3478; Pub. L. 96–344, § 5,Sept. 8, 1980, 94 Stat. 1134.)
1980—Subsec. (d). Pub. L. 96–344inserted provision including within the Charlestown Navy Yard properties known as the Ropewalk and Tar House and the Chain Forge and Round House, designated as buildings numbered 58, 60, and 105.
1978—Subsec. (a)(8). Pub. L. 95–625, § 310(a), added par. (8).
Subsec. (d). Pub. L. 95–625, § 310(d), authorized grant of easements and rights-of-way for vehicular, pedestrian and utility access to the Boston Navy Yard outside the boundaries of the Boston National Historical Park upon express condition that the grantee convey to the United States the part of the Boston Navy Yard owned by the Boston Redevelopment Authority.
Pub. L. 93–431, § 1,Oct. 1, 1974, 88 Stat. 1184, provided: “That this Act [enacting this subchapter] may be cited as the ‘Boston National Historical Park Act of 1974’.”
Authorization of Appropriations
Pub. L. 95–625, title III, § 310(c),Nov. 10, 1978, 92 Stat. 3478, provided that: “There are authorized to be appropriated such sums as may be necessary for the acquisition of lands or interests in lands designated by subsection (a) of this section [enacting subsec. (a)(8) of this section] as a component of the Boston National Historical Park, and for the development of such component.”
LII has no control over and does not endorse any external Internet site that contains links to or references LII.