16 U.S. Code § 474 - Surveys; plats and field notes; maps; effect under Act June 4, 1897
Surveys, field notes, and plats returned from the survey of public lands designated as national forests undertaken under the supervision of the Director of the United States Geological Survey in accordance with provisions of Act June 4, 1897, chapter 2, section 1, thirtieth Statutes, page 34, shall have the same legal force and effect as surveys, field notes, and plats returned through the Field Surveying Service; and such surveys, which include subdivision surveys under the rectangular system, approved by the Secretary of the Interior or such officer as he may designate as in other cases, and properly certified copies thereof shall be filed in the respective land offices of the districts in which such lands are situated, as in other cases. All laws inconsistent with the provisions hereof are declared inoperative as respects such survey. A copy of every topographic map and other maps showing the distribution of the forests, together with such field notes as may be taken relating thereto, shall be certified thereto by the Director of the Survey and filed in the Bureau of Land Management.
Act June 4, 1897, chapter 2, section 1, referred to in text, is act June 4, 1897, ch. 2, 30 Stat. 34. For classification of this Act to the Code, see Tables.
“Field Surveying Service” substituted in text for “office of surveyors-general” by act Mar. 3, 1925. Subsequently, the Service was abolished and its functions transferred to Secretary of the Interior by Reorg. Plan No. 3 of 1946, § 403, eff. July 16, 1946, 11 F.R. 7876,60 Stat. 1100, set out in the Appendix to Title 5, Government Organization and Employees.
“Secretary of the Interior or such officer as he may designate” substituted in text for “Commissioner of the General Land Office” on authority of Reorg. Plan No. 3 of 1946, set out in the Appendix to Title 5.
“Bureau of Land Management” substituted for “General Land Office” on authority of Reorg. Plan No. 3 of 1946, set out in the Appendix to Title 5. The “General Land Office” was abolished by Reorg. Plan No. 3 of 1946 with its functions consolidated with that of the Grazing Service to form a new agency in the Department of the Interior to be known as the Bureau of Land Management.
For transfer of functions of other officers, employees, and agencies of Department of the Interior, with certain exceptions, to Secretary of the Interior, with power to delegate, see Reorg. Plan No. 3 of 1950, §§ 1, 2, eff. May 24, 1950, 15 F.R. 3174,64 Stat. 1262, set out in the Appendix to Title 5.
LII has no control over and does not endorse any external Internet site that contains links to or references LII.