2 U.S. Code § 2162 - Capitol Power Plant
The heating, lighting, and power plant constructed under the terms of the Act approved April 28, 1904 (33 Stat. 479, chapter 1762) shall be known as the “Capitol Power Plant”.
In this section, the term “carbon dioxide energy efficiency” means the quantity of electricity used to power equipment for carbon dioxide capture and storage or use.
If the feasibility study determines that a demonstration project to capture and store or use Capitol Power Plant carbon dioxide emissions is technologically feasible and economically justified (including direct and indirect economic and environmental benefits), the Architect of the Capitol may conduct 1 or more demonstration projects to capture and store or use carbon dioxide emitted from the Capitol Power Plant as a result of burning fossil fuels.
A demonstration project funded under this section shall be subject to such terms and conditions as the Architect of the Capitol may prescribe.
There is authorized to be appropriated to carry out the feasibility study and demonstration project $3,000,000. Such sums shall remain available until expended.
Act approved April 28, 1904, referred to in subsec. (a), is act Apr. 28, 1904, ch. 1762, 33 Stat. 452, which provided, at 33 Stat. 479, an appropriation for the construction of a heating, lighting and power plant in connection with the office building for the House of Representatives to furnish the necessary heat, light, and power for the office building for the House of Representatives, the Capitol building, the Congressional Library building, and for such other public buildings erected after Apr. 28, 1904, on grounds adjacent to the Capitol grounds at the east of the Capitol building and facing the same.
Section is based on act Mar. 4, 1911, popularly known as the “Sundry Civil Appropriation Act, fiscal year 1912”. It followed an appropriation for the Capitol power plant.
2007—Pub. L. 110–140 added text of section and struck out former text which read as follows: “The heating, lighting, and power plant constructed under the terms of the Act approved April 28, 1904, shall be known as the ‘Capitol power plant’; and all vacancies occurring in the force operating said plant and the substations in connection therewith shall be filled by the Architect of the Capitol with the approval of the commission in control of the House Office Building appointed under section 2001 of this title.”
LII has no control over and does not endorse any external Internet site that contains links to or references LII.