2 U.S. Code § 475 - Powers of Office of Technology Assessment
(a) Use of public and private personnel and organizations; formation of special ad hoc task forces; contracts with governmental, etc., agencies and instrumentalities; advance, progress, and other payments; utilization of services of voluntary and uncompensated personnel; acquisition, holding, and disposal of real and personal property; promulgation of rules and regulations
The Office shall have the authority, within the limits of available appropriations, to do all things necessary to carry out the provisions of this chapter, including, but without being limited to, the authority to—
(1) make full use of competent personnel and organizations outside the Office, public or private, and form special ad hoc task forces or make other arrangements when appropriate;
(2) enter into contracts or other arrangements as may be necessary for the conduct of the work of the Office with any agency or instrumentality of the United States, with any State, territory, or possession or any political subdivision thereof, or with any person, firm, association, corporation, or educational institution, with or without reimbursement, without performance or other bonds, and without regard to section 6101 of title 41;
(3) make advance, progress, and other payments which relate to technology assessment without regard to the provisions of section 3324 (a) and (b) of title 31;
(4) accept and utilize the services of voluntary and uncompensated personnel necessary for the conduct of the work of the Office and provide transportation and subsistence as authorized by section 5703 of title 5, for persons serving without compensation;
(5) acquire by purchase, lease, loan, or gift, and hold and dispose of by sale, lease, or loan, real and personal property of all kinds necessary for or resulting from the exercise of authority granted by this chapter; and
(b) Recordkeeping by contractors and other parties entering into contracts and other arrangements with Office; availability of books and records to Office and Comptroller General for audit and examination
Contractors and other parties entering into contracts and other arrangements under this section which involve costs to the Government shall maintain such books and related records as will facilitate an effective audit in such detail and in such manner as shall be prescribed by the Office, and such books and records (and related documents and papers) shall be available to the Office and the Comptroller General of the United States, or any of their duly authorized representatives, for the purpose of audit and examination.
(c) Operation of laboratories, pilot plants, or test facilities
The Office, in carrying out the provisions of this chapter, shall not, itself, operate any laboratories, pilot plants, or test facilities.
(d) Requests to executive departments or agencies for information, suggestions, estimates, statistics, and technical assistance; duty of executive departments and agencies to furnish information, etc.
The Office is authorized to secure directly from any executive department or agency information, suggestions, estimates, statistics, and technical assistance for the purpose of carrying out its functions under this chapter. Each such executive department or agency shall furnish the information, suggestions, estimates, statistics, and technical assistance directly to the Office upon its request.
(e) Requests to heads of executive departments or agencies for detail of personnel; reimbursement
On request of the Office, the head of any executive department or agency may detail, with or without reimbursement, any of its personnel to assist the Office in carrying out its functions under this chapter.
Source(Pub. L. 92–484, § 6,Oct. 13, 1972, 86 Stat. 799.)
In subsec. (a)(2), “section 6101 of title 41” substituted for “section 3709 of the Revised Statutes (41 U.S.C. 5)” on authority of Pub. L. 111–350, § 6(c),Jan. 4, 2011, 124 Stat. 3854, which Act enacted Title 41, Public Contracts.
LII has no control over and does not endorse any external Internet site that contains links to or references LII.