20 U.S. Code § 1161z - Henry Kuualoha Giugni Kupuna Memorial Archives
prev | next
(a) Grants authorized
From the amounts appropriated under subsection (c), the Secretary is authorized to award a grant to the University of Hawaii Academy for Creative Media for the establishment, maintenance, and periodic modernization of the Henry Kuualoha Giugni Kupuna Memorial Archives at the University of Hawaii.
(b) Use of funds
The Henry Kuualoha Giugni Kupuna Memorial Archives shall use the grant funds received under this section—
(1) to facilitate the acquisition of a secure web-accessible repository of Native Hawaiian historical data rich in ethnic and cultural significance to the United States for preservation and access by future generations;
(2) to award scholarships to facilitate access to postsecondary education for students who cannot afford such education;
(4) to create educational materials, from the contents of the archives, that are applicable to a broad range of indigenous students, such as Native Hawaiians, Alaskan Natives, and Native American Indians;
(5) to develop outreach initiatives that introduce the archival collections to elementary schools and secondary schools;
(6) to develop supplemental web-based resources that define terms and cultural practices innate to Native Hawaiians;
(7) to rent, lease, purchase, maintain, or repair educational facilities to house the archival collections;
(8) to rent, lease, purchase, maintain, or repair computer equipment for use by elementary schools and secondary schools in accessing the archival collections;
(9) to provide preservice and in-service teacher training to develop a core group of kindergarten through grade 12 teachers who are able to provide instruction in a way that is relevant to the unique background of indigenous students, such as Native Hawaiians, Alaskan Natives, and Native American Indians, in order to—
(A) facilitate greater understanding by teachers of the unique background of indigenous students; and
LII has no control over and does not endorse any external Internet site that contains links to or references LII.