Each student awarded a fellowship under this chapter shall demonstrate the potential, and a serious intention, to follow a career of educating students in secondary schools. Each institution of higher education at which such a student is in attendance shall make reasonable efforts to encourage such a student to meet the objectives of this section.
Each student receiving a Fellowship under this chapter  shall enter into an agreement under which the recipient shall:
(a) within a 5-year period after completing the education for which the fellowship was awarded, teach on a full-time basis students in secondary school for a period of not less than one year for each year for which asistance  was received;
(b) repay all of the Fellowship assistance received plus interest at the rate of 6% per annum and, if applicable, reasonable collection fees for each school year for which assistance was received for which such recipient failed to teach as provided in paragraph (a); and
(c) not be considered to be in violation of the agreement entered into during any period during which the recipient:
(1) is pursuing a full-time course of study related to the field of teaching at an eligible institution;
(2) is serving, not in excess of 3 years, as a member of the armed services of the United States;
(3) is temporarily totally disabled for a period of time not to exceed 3 years as established by sworn affidavit of a qualified physician;
(4) is unable to secure employment for a period not to exceed 12 months by reason of the care required by a spouse who is disabled;
(5) is seeking and unable to find full-time employment for a single period not to exceed 12 months; or
(6) is seeking and unable to find full-time employment as a teacher.