22 U.S. Code § 4069c–1 - Health benefits for certain former spouses
prev | next
Except as provided in subsection (c)(1) of this section, any individual—
(1) formerly married to an employee or former employee of the Foreign Service, whose marriage was dissolved by divorce or annulment before May 7, 1985;
(2) who, at any time during the 18-month period before the divorce or annulment became final, was covered under a health benefits plan as a member of the family of such employee or former employee; and
(b) Prerequisites for enrollment; notification of rights
(1) Any individual eligible for coverage under subsection (a) of this section may enroll in a health benefits plan for self alone or for self and family if, before the expiration of the 6-month period beginning on the effective date of this section, and in accordance with such procedures as the Director of the Office of Personnel Management shall by regulation prescribe, such individual—
(B) arranges to pay currently into the Employees Health Benefits Fund under section 8909 of title 5 an amount equal to the sum of the employee and agency contributions payable in the case of an employee enrolled under chapter 89 of such title in the same health benefits plan and with the same level of benefits.
(2) The Secretary shall, as soon as possible, take all steps practicable—
(A) to determine the identity and current address of each former spouse eligible for coverage under subsection (a) of this section; and
(1) Any former spouse who remarries before age 55 is not eligible to make an election under subsection (b)(1) of this section.
(2) Any former spouse enrolled in a health benefits plan pursuant to an election under subsection (b)(1) of this section may continue the enrollment under the conditions of eligibility which the Director of the Office of Personnel Management shall by regulation prescribe, except that any former spouse who remarries before age 55 shall not be eligible for continued enrollment under this section after the end of the 31-day period beginning on the date of remarriage.
(d) Prohibition on coverage by more than one plan
No individual may be covered by a health benefits plan under this section during any period in which such individual is enrolled in a health benefits plan under any other authority, nor may any individual be covered under more than one enrollment under this section.
Source(Pub. L. 96–465, title I, § 833, as added Pub. L. 100–238, title II, § 204(a),Jan. 8, 1988, 101 Stat. 1772.)
References in Text
For the effective date of this section, referred to in subsec. (b)(1), see Effective Date note set out below.
LII has no control over and does not endorse any external Internet site that contains links to or references LII.