25 U.S. Code § 1773d - Funds to members of Puyallup Tribe
(a) Payment to individual members
(1) To the extent provided in advance in appropriation Acts or to the extent funds are provided by other parties to the Settlement Agreement, the Secretary shall place with a financial institution the amount of $24,000,000 in an annuity fund or other investment program (hereafter in this subsection referred to as the “fund”). The selection of the institution or institutions where the funds will be held and the administration of the funds shall be in accordance with section II of the Settlement Agreement and documents 2 and 3 of the Technical Documents. Amounts earned pursuant to any investment of the fund shall be added to, and become part of, the fund.
(2) Upon attaining the age of 21 years, each enrolled member of the Tribe (determined by the Tribe pursuant to its constitution to have been a member as of the date of ratification of the Settlement Agreement by the Tribe) shall receive a one-time payment from the fund. The amount of such payment shall be determined in accordance with section II of the Settlement Agreement and document 2 of the Technical Documents.
(3) A reasonable and customary fee for the administration of the fund may be paid out of the income earned by the fund to the financial institution with which the fund is established.
(4) Upon payment to all eligible members of the Tribe pursuant to paragraph (2), any amount remaining in the fund shall be utilized in the manner determined by a vote of the members of the Tribe.
(b) Permanent trust fund for tribal members
(1) In order to provide a permanent resource to enhance the ability of the Tribe to provide services to its members, there is established the Puyallup Tribe of Indians Settlement Trust Fund (hereafter in this subsection referred to as the “trust fund”).
(2) Upon appropriation by Congress or to the extent funds are provided by other parties to the Settlement Agreement, the Secretary shall deposit $22,000,000 into the trust fund. The trust fund shall be invested in accordance with section 162a of this title, so as to earn the maximum interest on principal and interest available under that section. No part of the $22,000,000 principal may be expended for any purpose. Income earned on the principal or interest of the trust fund shall be available for expenditure as provided in paragraph (3).
(A) The trust fund shall be administered and the funds shall be expended in accordance with section III of the Settlement Agreement and document 3 of the Technical Documents. Income from the trust fund may be used only for the following purposes unless modified in accordance with subparagraph (B):
Source(Pub. L. 101–41, § 6,June 21, 1989, 103 Stat. 86.)
Use of Funds To Fulfill Board of Trustees’ Fiduciary and Administrative Responsibilities
Pub. L. 102–154, title I, Nov. 13, 1991, 105 Stat. 1005, provided: “That income earned on funds appropriated by Public Law 101–121, October 23, 1989, 103 Stat. 701, 715[,] for the purposes of section 6(b) of the Puyallup Tribe of Indians Settlement Act of 1989, Public Law 101–41, June 21, 1989, 103 Stat. 83 [25 U.S.C. 1773d (b)], may be utilized by the Permanent Trust Fund Board of Trustees to secure necessary and appropriate financial, auditing, accounting, insurance and other administrative services to fulfill the Board of Trustees’ fiduciary and administrative responsibilities: Provided further, That no more than 5 per centum of the income in any year may be utilized for such purposes”.
Similar provisions were contained in the following prior appropriation act: