26 U.S. Code § 6325 - Release of lien or discharge of property
There is furnished to the Secretary and accepted by him a bond that is conditioned upon the payment of the amount assessed, together with all interest in respect thereof, within the time prescribed by law (including any extension of such time), and that is in accordance with such requirements relating to terms, conditions, and form of the bond and sureties thereon, as may be specified by such regulations.
Subject to such regulations as the Secretary may prescribe, the Secretary may issue a certificate of discharge of any part of the property subject to any lien imposed under this chapter if the Secretary finds that the fair market value of that part of such property remaining subject to the lien is at least double the amount of the unsatisfied liability secured by such lien and the amount of all other liens upon such property which have priority over such lien.
Subject to such regulations as the Secretary may prescribe, the Secretary may issue a certificate of discharge of any part of the property subject to the lien if such part of the property is sold and, pursuant to an agreement with the Secretary, the proceeds of such sale are to be held, as a fund subject to the liens and claims of the United States, in the same manner and with the same priority as such liens and claims had with respect to the discharged property.
If the Secretary determines that, because of confusion of names or otherwise, any person (other than the person against whom the tax was assessed) is or may be injured by the appearance that a notice of lien filed under section 6323 refers to such person, the Secretary may issue a certificate that the lien does not attach to the property of such person.
If a certificate or notice issued pursuant to this section may not be filed in the office designated by State law in which the notice of lien imposed by section 6321 is filed, such certificate or notice shall be effective if filed in the office of the clerk of the United States district court for the judicial district in which such office is situated.
For provisions relating to bonds, see chapter 73 (sec. 7101 and following).
1998—Subsec. (b)(4). Pub. L. 105–206 added par. (4).
1982—Subsec. (a). Pub. L. 97–248 in introductory provisions substituted “shall issue” for “may issue” and “not later than 30 days after the day on which” for “if”.
1978—Subsec. (d)(3). Pub. L. 95–600 added par. (3).
1976—Pub. L. 94–455 struck out “or his delegate” after “Secretary” wherever appearing.
1966—Subsec. (b)(3). Pub. L. 89–719 added par. (3).
Subsecs. (d), (e). Pub. L. 89–719 added subsecs. (d) and (e). Former subsecs. (d) and (e) redesignated, with amendments, as subsecs. (f)(1) and (h), respectively.
Subsec. (f). Pub. L. 89–719 redesignated as par. (1) provisions formerly constituting subsec. (d), inserted reference to exceptions provided in pars. (2) and (3) and reference to the filing of the certificate in the same office as the notice of lien to which it refers and expanded the types of certificates to include separate certificates of release, discharge, subordination, and nonattachment, and added pars. (2) and (3).
Subsec. (g). Pub. L. 89–719 added subsec. (g).
Subsec. (h). Pub. L. 89–719 redesignated as subsec. (h) provisions formerly constituting subsec. (e) and struck out cross references for single bonds, suits to enforce liens, and suits to clear title to realty.
1958—Subsec. (a)(1). Pub. L. 85–866, § 77(1), substituted “or” for “,” after “satisfied” and struck out “, or, in the case of the estate tax imposed by chapter 11 or the gift tax imposed by chapter 12, has been fully satisfied or provided for” after “unenforceable”.
Subsec. (c). Pub. L. 85–866, § 77(2), added subsec. (c) and redesignated former subsec. (c) as (d).
Subsec. (d). Pub. L. 85–866. § 77(2), (3), redesignated former subsec. (c) as (d) and in heading and text struck out “partial” before “discharge”. Former subsec. (d) redesignated (e).
Subsec. (e). Pub. L. 85–866, § 77(2), redesignated former subsec. (d) as (e).
Amendment by Pub. L. 89–719 applicable after Nov. 2, 1966, regardless of when title or lien of United States arose or when lien or interest of another person was acquired, with certain exceptions, see section 114(a)–(c) of Pub. L. 89–719, set out as a note under section 6323 of this title.
Written determinations for this section
These documents, sometimes referred to as "Private Letter Rulings", are taken from the IRS Written Determinations page; the IRS also publishes a fuller explanation of what they are and what they mean. The collection is updated (at our end) daily. It appears that the IRS updates their listing every Friday.
Note that the IRS often titles documents in a very plain-vanilla, duplicative way. Do not assume that identically-titled documents are the same, or that a later document supersedes another with the same title. That is unlikely to be the case.
Release dates appear exactly as we get them from the IRS. Some are clearly wrong, but we have made no attempt to correct them, as we have no way guess correctly in all cases, and do not wish to add to the confusion.
We truncate results at 20000 items. After that, you're on your own.
- Certificate of Discharge : 2017-03-10
- Release of Lien or Discharge of Property : 2013-11-29
- Civil Actions by Persons Other Than Taxpayers : 2012-08-31
- Discharge of Lien : 2012-08-31
- Credit of Overpayment Against Any Tax Liability : 2012-04-06
- Certificate of Discharge : 2012-04-06
- Release of Lien or Discharge of Property : 2012-01-13
- Consent to Sale : 2012-01-13
- Credit of Overpayment Against Any Tax Liability : 2011-11-10
- Release of Lien or Discharge of Property : 2011-11-10
- Release of Lien or Discharge of Property : 2011-01-21
- Release of Lien or Discharge of Property : 2011-01-14
- Value of Interest of U.S. : 2010-12-03
- Release of Lien or Discharge of Property : 2010-10-01
- Release of Lien or Discharge of Property : 2010-03-26
- Release of Lien or Discharge of Property : 2010-01-29
- Release of Lien or Discharge of Property : 2010-01-01
- Civil Actions by Persons Other Than Taxpayers : 2008-11-28
- Certificate of Discharge : 2008-11-28
- Conclusive Effect : 2008-09-26
- Release of Lien or Discharge of Property : 2002-11-29
- Compromises : 2002-11-29
- Release of Lien or Discharge of Property : 2001-09-14
- Method of Assessment : 2001-09-14
- Procedures : 2001-09-14
- Notice and Demand for Tax : 2001-09-14
- Validity and Priority of Lien Against Mortgagees, Pledgees, Purchasers, and Judgment Creditors Valid v. Invalid : 2001-09-14
- Lien for Taxes Lien Right v. No Lien Right : 2001-09-14