26 U.S. Code § 6702 - Frivolous tax submissions
Except as provided in paragraph (3), any person who submits a specified frivolous submission shall pay a penalty of $5,000.
If the Secretary provides a person with notice that a submission is a specified frivolous submission and such person withdraws such submission within 30 days after such notice, the penalty imposed under paragraph (1) shall not apply with respect to such submission.
The Secretary shall prescribe (and periodically revise) a list of positions which the Secretary has identified as being frivolous for purposes of this subsection. The Secretary shall not include in such list any position that the Secretary determines meets the requirement of section 6662(d)(2)(B)(ii)(II).
The Secretary may reduce the amount of any penalty imposed under this section if the Secretary determines that such reduction would promote compliance with and administration of the Federal tax laws.
The penalties imposed by this section shall be in addition to any other penalty provided by law.
2006—Pub. L. 109–432 amended section catchline and text generally, substituting provisions relating to civil penalties for frivolous tax returns and submissions, listing of frivolous positions, reduction of penalty to promote compliance with tax laws, and application of other penalties, consisting of subsecs. (a) to (e), for provisions relating to civil penalty for frivolous tax returns and application of other penalties, consisting of subsecs. (a) and (b).
Amendment by Pub. L. 109–432 applicable to submissions made and issues raised after the date on which the Secretary first prescribes a list under subsec. (c) of this section, see section 407(f) of Pub. L. 109–432, set out as a note under section 6320 of this title.
Written determinations for this section
These documents, sometimes referred to as "Private Letter Rulings", are taken from the IRS Written Determinations page; the IRS also publishes a fuller explanation of what they are and what they mean. The collection is updated (at our end) daily. It appears that the IRS updates their listing every Friday.
Note that the IRS often titles documents in a very plain-vanilla, duplicative way. Do not assume that identically-titled documents are the same, or that a later document supersedes another with the same title. That is unlikely to be the case.
Release dates appear exactly as we get them from the IRS. Some are clearly wrong, but we have made no attempt to correct them, as we have no way guess correctly in all cases, and do not wish to add to the confusion.
We truncate results at 20000 items. After that, you're on your own.
- Frivolous Income Tax Return : 2016-06-03
- Penalty Assessments : 2016-06-03
- What Constitutes : 2015-03-27
- Frivolous Income Tax Return : 2015-01-09
- Frivolous Income Tax Return : 2013-11-29
- Frivolous Income Tax Return : 2011-07-22
- What Constitutes : 2011-01-21
- Frivolous Income Tax Return : 2005-07-01
- What Constitutes : 2005-03-25
- Frivolous Income Tax Return : 2005-03-25
- No Interest Until Return in Processible Form : 2005-03-25
- Frivolous Income Tax Return : 2005-01-28
- What Constitutes : 2005-01-28
- Frivolous Income Tax Return : 2005-01-28
- Action for Recovery of Erroneous Refunds : 2005-01-28
- No Interest Until Return in Processible Form : 2005-01-28
- What Constitutes : 2005-01-21
- Frivolous Income Tax Return : 2005-01-21
- Intent v. No Intent to Defraud : 2005-01-21
- Action for Recovery of Erroneous Refunds : 2005-01-21
- No Interest Until Return in Processible Form : 2005-01-21
- What Constitutes : 2005-01-14
- Frivolous Income Tax Return : 2005-01-14
- What Constitutes : 2004-12-17
- Frivolous Income Tax Return : 2004-12-17
- Action to Enjoin Income Tax Return Preparers : 2004-12-17
- Signature : 2004-12-17
- Verification of Returns : 2004-12-17
- Assessment Authority : 2002-10-18
- Frivolous Income Tax Return : 2002-10-18
- General Requirement of Return, Statement, or List : 2002-10-18
- Frivolous Income Tax Return : 2001-08-31
- Frivolous Income Tax Return : 2001-04-06
- Abatement of Interest : 2001-04-06
- Frivolous Income Tax Return : 2001-02-16
- Frivolous Income Tax Return : 2001-01-12
- Person Liable : 2001-01-12
- Frivolous Income Tax Return : 2000-09-01
LII has no control over and does not endorse any external Internet site that contains links to or references LII.