26 U.S. Code § 676 - Power to revoke
The grantor shall be treated as the owner of any portion of a trust, whether or not he is treated as such owner under any other provision of this part, where at any time the power to revest in the grantor title to such portion is exercisable by the grantor or a non-adverse party, or both.
Subsection (a) shall not apply to a power the exercise of which can only affect the beneficial enjoyment of the income for a period commencing after the occurrence of an event such that a grantor would not be treated as the owner under section 673 if the power were a reversionary interest. But the grantor may be treated as the owner after the occurrence of such event unless the power is relinquished.
1986—Subsec. (b)(2). Pub. L. 99–514 substituted “occurrence of event” for “expiration of 10-year period” in heading and in text substituted “the occurrence of an event” for “the expiration of a period” and “the occurrence of such event” for “the expiration of such period”.
Amendment by Pub. L. 99–514 applicable with respect to transfers in trust made after Mar. 1, 1986, except for transfers pursuant to a certain binding property settlement agreement, see section 1402(c) of Pub. L. 99–514, set out as a note under section 673 of this title.
Written determinations for this section
These documents, sometimes referred to as "Private Letter Rulings", are taken from the IRS Written Determinations page; the IRS also publishes a fuller explanation of what they are and what they mean. The collection is updated (at our end) daily. It appears that the IRS updates their listing every Friday.
Note that the IRS often titles documents in a very plain-vanilla, duplicative way. Do not assume that identically-titled documents are the same, or that a later document supersedes another with the same title. That is unlikely to be the case.
Release dates appear exactly as we get them from the IRS. Some are clearly wrong, but we have made no attempt to correct them, as we have no way guess correctly in all cases, and do not wish to add to the confusion.
We truncate results at 20000 items. After that, you're on your own.
- Persons Treated as Grantors : 2002-03-01
- Power to Revoke : 2002-03-01
- Persons Treated as Grantors : 2000-05-12
- General Powers of Administration : 2000-05-12
- Discharge of Obligation of Grantor or Spouse : 2000-05-12
- Power to Revoke : 2000-05-12
- Value of Reversionary Interests : 2000-05-12
- Powers to Distribute Corpus : 2000-05-12
- Cash Basis : 2000-05-12
- Property Held in Trust : 2000-05-12
- Persons Treated as Grantors : 1999-03-26
- Exclusion of Gain from Sale of Principal Residence (Amended by P.L. 105-34, Section 312(a)) : 1999-03-26
- Power to Revoke : 1999-03-26