30 U.S. Code § 1312 - Financial assistance
(a) The Secretary of Energy is authorized to make grants to any institution of higher education designated under section 1311 of this title to pay the Federal share of the cost of establishing (including the construction of such facilities as may be necessary) and maintaining a coal laboratory.
(b) Each institution of higher education designated pursuant to section 1311 of this title shall submit an application to the Secretary of Energy. Each such application shall—
(1) set forth the program to be conducted at the coal laboratory which includes the purposes set forth in section 1311 (d) of this title;
(2) provide assurances that the university will pay from non-Federal sources the remaining costs of carrying out the program set forth;
(3) provide such fiscal control and fund accounting procedures as may be necessary to assure the proper disbursement of and accounting for Federal funds received under this subchapter;
(4) provide for making an annual report which shall include a description of the activities conducted at the coal laboratory and an evaluation of the success of such activities, and such other necessary reports in such form and containing such information as the Secretary of Energy may require, and for keeping such records and affording such access thereto as may be necessary to assure the correctness and verification of such reports; and
(5) set forth such policies and procedures as will insure that Federal funds made available under this section for any fiscal year will be so used as to supplement and, to the extent practical, increase the level of funds that would, in the absence of such Federal funds, be made available for the purposes of the activities described in subsections (d)(1), (2), and (3) ofsection 1311 of this title, and in no case supplant such funds.