33 U.S. Code § 730a - Sites for pierhead beacons
The Secretary of Transportation is authorized whenever he shall deem it advisable, to acquire, by donation or purchase in behalf of the United States, the right to use and occupy sites for pierhead beacons the establishment of which has been, or shall hereafter be, authorized by Congress.
Section is based on last paragraph under heading “FOR LIFE-SAVING AND LIFE-BOAT STATIONS” of act Mar. 3, 1875, ch. 130, 18 Stat. 372, insofar as such paragraph provided for the right to use and occupy sites for pier-head beacons. Provisions of such paragraph relating to the right to use and occupy sites for Coast Guard Stations and houses of refuge were classified to section 96 of former Title 14, Coast Guard, and were repealed by act Aug. 4, 1949, ch. 393, § 20, 63 Stat. 561, and restated as section 92(f) of Title 14, Coast Guard.
For transfer of authorities, functions, personnel, and assets of the Coast Guard, including the authorities and functions of the Secretary of Transportation relating thereto, to the Department of Homeland Security, and for treatment of related references, see sections 468(b), 551(d), 552(d), and 557 of Title 6, Domestic Security, and the Department of Homeland Security Reorganization Plan of November 25, 2002, as modified, set out as a note under section 542 of Title 6.
Coast Guard transferred to Department of Transportation, and all functions, powers, and duties relating to Coast Guard of Secretary of the Treasury and of other officers and offices of Department of the Treasury transferred to Secretary of Transportation by Pub. L. 89–670, § 6(b)(1), Oct. 15, 1966, 80 Stat. 938. Section 6(b)(2) of Pub. L. 89–670, however, provided that notwithstanding such transfer of functions, Coast Guard shall operate as part of Navy in time of war or when President directs as provided in section 3 of Title 14, Coast Guard. See section 108 of Title 49, Transportation.
Bureau of Lighthouses and its functions transferred and consolidated with Coast Guard by Reorg. Plan No. II of 1939, § 2(a), set out in the Appendix to Title 5, Government Organization and Employees.