42 U.S. Code § 12573 - Types of national service positions eligible for approval for national service educational awards
The Corporation may approve of any of the following service positions as an approved national service position that includes the national service educational award described in division D of this subchapter as one of the benefits to be provided for successful service in the position:
(1) A position for a participant in a national service program described in subsection (a), (b), or (c) ofsection 12572 of this title that receives assistance under subsection (a) ofsection 12571 of this title.
(2) A position for a participant in a program that—
(A) is carried out by a State, a subdivision of a State, a territory, an Indian tribe, a public or private nonprofit organization, an institution of higher education, or a Federal agency (under an interagency agreement described in section 12571 (b) of this title); and
(3) A position involving service as a VISTA volunteer under title I of the Domestic Volunteer Service Act of 1973 (42 U.S.C. 4951 et seq.).
(4) A position facilitating service-learning in a program described in section 12572 (a)(1)(B)(vi) of this title that is eligible for assistance under part I of division B of this subchapter.
(5) A position for a participant in the National Civilian Community Corps under division E of this subchapter.
(6) A position involving service as a crew leader in a youth corps program or a similar position supporting a national service program that receives an approved national service position.
(7) A position involving service in the ServeAmerica Fellowship program carried out under section 12653b of this title.
Source(Pub. L. 101–610, title I, § 123, as added Pub. L. 103–82, title I, § 101(b),Sept. 21, 1993, 107 Stat. 794; amended Pub. L. 111–13, title I, § 1303,Apr. 21, 2009, 123 Stat. 1499.)
References in Text
The Domestic Volunteer Service Act of 1973, referred to in par. (3), is Pub. L. 93–113, Oct. 1, 1973, 87 Stat. 394. Title I of the Act is classified generally to subchapter I (§ 4951 et seq.) of chapter 66 of this title. For complete classification of this Act to the Code, see Short Title note set out under section 4950 of this title and Tables.
A prior section 12573,Pub. L. 101–610, title I, § 143,Nov. 16, 1990, 104 Stat. 3152, related to types of national service, prior to the general amendment of subtitle D of title I of Pub. L. 101–610[former part D of this subchapter] by Pub. L. 103–82, § 102(a).
A prior section 123 ofPub. L. 101–610was renumbered section 199C, and is classified to section 12655b of this title.
2009—Par. (1). Pub. L. 111–13, § 1303(1), substituted “subsection (a), (b), or (c) ofsection 12572” for “section 12572 (a)” and struck out “or (b)” before “of section 12571”.
Par. (2)(A). Pub. L. 111–13, § 1303(2), inserted “a territory,” after “subdivision of a State,” and substituted “Federal agency (under an interagency agreement described in section 12571 (b) of this title)” for “Federal agency”.
Par. (4). Pub. L. 111–13, § 1303(3), substituted “section 12572 (a)(1)(B)(vi)” for “section 12572 (a)(3)”.
Par. (5). Pub. L. 111–13, § 1303(4), inserted “National” before “Civilian Community Corps”.
Pars. (7), (8). Pub. L. 111–13, § 1303(5), (6), added par. (7) and redesignated former par. (7) as (8).
Effective Date of 2009 Amendment
LII has no control over and does not endorse any external Internet site that contains links to or references LII.