42 U.S. Code § 13282 - Selection of proposals
(1) The Secretary, in consultation with the Secretary of Transportation, the Secretary of Commerce, and the Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency, shall, not later than 120 days after the closing date, as established by the Secretary, for receipt of proposals under section 13281 of this title, select at least one, but not more than 10, proposals to receive financial assistance under section 13283 of this title.
(2) The Secretary may select more than 10 proposals under this section, if the Secretary determines that the total amount of available funds is not likely to be otherwise utilized.
(3) Any proposal selected under paragraph (1) must satisfy the limitations set forth in section 13283 (c) of this title.
(4) No one project selected under this section shall receive more than 25 percent of the funds authorized under section 13286 of this title.
In selecting a proposal and in negotiating financial assistance under this section, the Secretary shall consider—
(1) the ability of the manufacturer, directly, indirectly, or in combination with the proposer, to develop, assist in the demonstration of, manufacture, distribute, sell, provide warranties for, service, and ensure the continued availability of parts for, electric motor vehicles in the demonstration project;
(2) the geographic and climatic diversity of the eligible metropolitan area or areas in which the demonstration project is to be undertaken, when considered in combination with other proposals and other selected demonstration projects;
(7) the extent of involvement of State or local government and other persons in the demonstration project, and whether such involvement will—
The Secretary shall require that—
(1) as a part of a demonstration project, the user or users of the electric motor vehicles will provide to the proposer and the manufacturer information regarding the operation, maintenance, performance, and use of the electric motor vehicles for 5 years after the beginning of the demonstration project;
(2) the proposer shall provide to the Secretary such information regarding the operation, maintenance, performance, and use of the electric motor vehicles as the Secretary may request during the period of the demonstration project;
(3) in the case of a demonstration project including automobiles or light duty trucks, the number of electric motor vehicles to be included in the demonstration project shall be no less than 50, except that the Secretary may select a demonstration project with fewer than 50 electric motor vehicles if the Secretary determines that selection of such a proposal will ensure that there is geographic or climatic diversity among the proposals selected and that an adequate demonstration to accelerate the development and use of electric motor vehicles can be undertaken with fewer than 50 electric motor vehicles; and