For the purpose of establishing a national program to provide supplemental security income to individuals who have attained age 65 or are blind or disabled, there are authorized to be appropriated sums sufficient to carry out this subchapter.
42 U.S. Code § 1381 - Statement of purpose; authorization of appropriations
A prior section 1381, act Aug. 14, 1935, ch. 531, title XVI, § 1601, as added July 25, 1962, Pub. L. 87–543, title I, § 141(a), 76 Stat. 197, authorized appropriations for grants to States for aid to aged, blind, or disabled, and for medical assistance for aged, prior to the general amendment of title XVI of the Social Security Act by Pub. L. 92–603, § 301, but is set out as a note below in view of its continued applicability to Puerto Rico, Guam, and the Virgin Islands.
Subchapter provisions without effect on Federal Financial Participation in Experimental, Pilot or Demonstration Projects approved before Oct. 1, 1973, for period on-and-after Dec. 31, 1973, see section 11 of Pub. L. 93–233, Dec. 31, 1973, 87 Stat. 958, set out as a note under section 1315 of this title.
For applicability of this section to the Northern Mariana Islands, see section 502(a)(1) of the Covenant to Establish a Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands in Political Union with the United States of America and Proc. No. 4534, Oct. 24, 1977, 42 F.R. 6593, set out as notes under section 1801 of Title 48, Territories and Insular Possessions.
Enactment of section 1601 of the Social Security Act by Pub. L. 92–603, eff. Jan. 1, 1974 (42 U.S.C. 1381), was not applicable to Puerto Rico, Guam, and the Virgin Islands. See section 303(b) of Pub. L. 92–603, set out as a note under section 301 of this title. Therefore, as to Puerto Rico, Guam, and the Virgin Islands, section 1601 of the Social Security Act as it existed prior to reenactment by Pub. L. 92–603 (former 42 U.S.C. 1381), and as amended, continues to apply and reads as follows:
§ 1381. Authorization of appropriations
For the purpose of enabling each State, as far as practicable under the conditions in such State, to furnish financial assistance to needy individuals who are 65 years of age or over, are blind, or are 18 years of age or over and permanently and totally disabled, there is hereby authorized to be appropriated for each fiscal year a sum sufficient to carry out the purposes of this subchapter. The sums made available under this section shall be used for making payments to States which have submitted, and had approved by the Commissioner of Social Security, State plans for aid to the aged, blind, or disabled.
(Aug. 14, 1935, ch. 531, title XVI, § 1601, as added July 25, 1962, Pub. L. 87–543, title I, § 141(a), 76 Stat. 197; amended Oct. 17, 1979, Pub. L. 96–88, title V, § 509(b), 93 Stat. 695; Aug. 13, 1981, Pub. L. 97–35, title XXI, § 2184(d)(3), title XXIII, § 2353(m)(1), 95 Stat. 817, 873; Aug. 15, 1994, Pub. L. 103–296, title I, § 107(a)(1), 108 Stat. 1477.)
[Amendment by section 107(a)(1) of Pub. L. 103–296 effective Mar. 31, 1995, see section 110(a) of Pub. L. 103–296, set out as an Effective Date of 1994 Amendment note under section 401 of this title.]
The following state regulations pages link to this page.
- Alaska Admin. Code Title 7 § 45.235 - 7 AAC 45.235 - Determining physical or mental ability to perform gainful activity
- Alaska Admin. Code Title 8 § 98.700 - 8 AAC 98.700 - Order of selection for vocational rehabilitation services
- Haw. Code R. §17-1401.1-6 - §17-1401.1-6 - Disclosure to third parties without written authorization or court order.
- Haw. Code R. §17-1702-5 - §17-1702-5 - Disclosure of information to administer the public assistance or other federal programs.
- Haw. Code R. §17-601-3 - §17-601-3 - Restrictions against disclosure of information to persons other than applicants and recipients.
- Haw. Code R. §17-655-30 - §17-655-30 - Food stamp eligibility requirements for residents of institutions.
- IL Admin. Code 89.121.140 - Section 121.140 - Small Group Living Arrangement Facilities and Drug/Alcoholic Treatment Centers
- IL Admin. Code 89.139.120 - Section 139.120 - Family Support Program Parent or Legal Guardian Responsibilities
- Ohio Admin. Code 5101:4-1-13 - 5101:4-1-13 - Food assistance: availability of information, program administration, office operations, and income eligibility verification system information.
- 218-RICR-20-00-5 - Part 5 - Supplemental Security Income and State Supplemental Payment Rules and Regulations (218-RICR-20-00-5)
- 12 Va. Admin. Code § 35-225-40 - 12VAC35-225-40 - Public awareness and child identification and referral.
- Wash. Admin. Code § 182-510-0001 - 182-510-0001 - Supplemental security income and associated categorically needy coverage.