42 U.S. Code § 292t - Individuals from disadvantaged backgrounds
(a) Fund agreements regarding certain amounts
With respect to amounts appropriated under subsection (f) of this section, each agreement entered into under section 292q of this title with a school shall provide (in addition to the provisions required in subsection (b) of such section) that—
(1) any Federal capital contribution made to the student loan fund of the school from such amounts, together with the school contribution appropriate under subsection (b)(2)(B) of such section to the amount of the Federal capital contribution, will be utilized only for the purpose of—
(b) Minimum qualifications for schools
The Secretary may not make a Federal capital contribution for purposes of subsection (a) of this section for a fiscal year unless the health professions school involved—
(1) is carrying out a program for recruiting and retaining students from disadvantaged backgrounds, including racial and ethnic minorities; and
(c) Certain agreements regarding education of students; date certain for compliance
The Secretary may not make a Federal capital contribution for purposes of subsection (a) of this section for a fiscal year unless the health professions school involved agrees—
(1) to ensure that adequate instruction regarding minority health issues is provided for in the curricula of the school;
(2) with respect to health clinics providing services to a significant number of individuals who are from disadvantaged backgrounds, including members of minority groups, to enter into arrangements with 1 or more such clinics for the purpose of providing students of the school with experience in providing clinical services to such individuals;
(3) with respect to public or nonprofit private secondary educational institutions and undergraduate institutions of higher education, to enter into arrangements with 1 or more such institutions for the purpose of carrying out programs regarding the educational preparation of disadvantaged students, including minority students, to enter the health professions and regarding the recruitment of such individuals into the health professions;
(4) to establish a mentor program for assisting disadvantaged students, including minority students, regarding the completion of the educational requirements for degrees from the school;
(5) to be carrying out each of the activities specified in any of paragraphs (1) through (4) by not later than 1 year after the date on which the first Federal capital contribution is made to the school for purposes of subsection (a) of this section; and
(d) Availability of other amounts
With respect to Federal capital contributions to student loan funds under agreements under section 292q (b) of this title, any such contributions made before October 1, 1990, together with the school contributions appropriate under paragraph (2)(B) of such section to the amount of the Federal capital contributions, may be utilized for the purpose of making loans to individuals from disadvantaged backgrounds, subject to section 292s (a)(2)(B) of this title.
(e) “Disadvantaged” defined
For purposes of this section, the term “disadvantaged”, with respect to an individual, shall be defined by the Secretary.
(f) Authorization of appropriations
(2) Special consideration for certain schools
In making Federal capital contributions to student loan funds for purposes of subsection (a) of this section, the Secretary shall give special consideration to health professions schools that have enrollments of underrepresented minorities above the national average for health professions schools.
Source(July 1, 1944, ch. 373, title VII, § 724, as added Pub. L. 102–408, title I, § 102,Oct. 13, 1992, 106 Stat. 2018; amended Pub. L. 105–392, title I, § 132,Nov. 13, 1998, 112 Stat. 3575.)
A prior section 724 of act July 1, 1944, was classified to section 293d of this title prior to the general revision of this subchapter by Pub. L. 102–408.
1998—Subsec. (f)(1). Pub. L. 105–392, § 132(b), struck out heading and text of par. (1). Text read as follows: “With respect to making Federal capital contributions to student loan funds for purposes of subsection (a) of this section, there is authorized to be appropriated for such contributions $8,000,000 for each of the fiscal years 1998 through 2002.”
Pub. L. 105–392, § 132(a), substituted “$8,000,000 for each of the fiscal years 1998 through 2002” for “$15,000,000 for fiscal year 1993”.
Effective Date of 1998 Amendment