42 U.S. Code § 300d–81 - Grants to States
prev | next
To promote universal access to trauma care services provided by trauma centers and trauma-related physician specialties, the Secretary shall provide funding to States to enable such States to award grants to eligible entities for the purposes described in this section.
(b) Awarding of grants by States
Each State may award grants to eligible entities within the State for the purposes described in subparagraph (d).
(1) In general
To be eligible to receive a grant under subsection (b) an entity shall—
(i) a public or nonprofit trauma center or consortium thereof that meets that  requirements of paragraphs (1), (2), and (5) of section 300d–41 (b) of this title;
(ii) a safety net public or nonprofit trauma center that meets the requirements of paragraphs (1) through (5) of section 300d–41 (b) of this title; or
(d) Use of funds
The recipient of a grant under subsection (b) shall carry out 1 or more of the following activities consistent with subsection (b):
(1) Providing trauma centers with funding to support physician compensation in trauma-related physician specialties where shortages exist in the region involved, with priority provided to safety net trauma centers described in subsection (c)(1)(A)(ii).
(2) Providing for individual safety net trauma center fiscal stability and costs related to having service that is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, with priority provided to safety net trauma centers described in subsection (c)(1)(A)(ii) located in urban, border, and rural areas.
(3) Reducing trauma center overcrowding at specific trauma centers related to throughput of trauma patients.
(5) Enhancing collaboration between trauma centers and other hospitals and emergency medical services personnel related to trauma service availability.
(6) Making capital improvements to enhance access and expedite trauma care, including providing helipads and associated safety infrastructure.
(8) Ensuring expedient receipt of trauma patients transported by ground or air to the appropriate trauma center.
(1) In general
A State may use not more than 20 percent of the amount available to the State under this part for a fiscal year for administrative costs associated with awarding grants and related costs.
(f) Distribution of funds
The following shall apply with respect to grants provided in this part:
(1) Less than $10,000,000
(2) Less than $20,000,000
(3) Less than $30,000,000
 So in original. Probably should be “the”.