42 U.S. Code § 300mm–5 - Definitions
prev | next
In this subchapter:
(1) The term “aggravating” means, with respect to a health condition, a health condition that existed on September 11, 2001, and that, as a result of exposure to airborne toxins, any other hazard, or any other adverse condition resulting from the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, requires medical treatment that is (or will be) in addition to, more frequent than, or of longer duration than the medical treatment that would have been required for such condition in the absence of such exposure.
(2) The term “certified-eligible WTC survivor” has the meaning given such term in section 300mm–31 (a)(2) of this title.
(3) The terms “Clinical Center of Excellence” and “Data Center” have the meanings given such terms in section 300mm–4 of this title.
(4) The term “enrolled WTC responder” means a WTC responder enrolled under section 300mm–21 (a)(3) of this title.
(5) The term “initial health evaluation” includes, with respect to an individual, a medical and exposure history, a physical examination, and additional medical testing as needed to evaluate whether the individual has a WTC-related health condition and is eligible for treatment under the WTC Program.
(6) The term “list of WTC-related health conditions” means—
(7) The term “New York City disaster area” means the area within New York City that is—
(8) The term “New York metropolitan area” means an area, specified by the WTC Program Administrator, within which WTC responders and eligible WTC screening-eligible survivors who reside in such area are reasonably able to access monitoring and treatment benefits and initial health evaluation benefits under this subchapter through a Clinical Center of Excellence described in subparagraphs (A), (B), or (C) of section 300mm–4 (b)(1) of this title.
(9) The term “screening-eligible WTC survivor” has the meaning given such term in section 300mm–31 (a)(1) of this title.
(10) Any reference to “September 11, 2001” shall be deemed a reference to the period on such date subsequent to the terrorist attacks at the World Trade Center, Shanksville, Pennsylvania, or the Pentagon, as applicable, on such date.
(11) The term “September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks” means the terrorist attacks that occurred on September 11, 2001, in New York City, in Shanksville, Pennsylvania, and at the Pentagon, and includes the aftermath of such attacks.
(12) The term “WTC Health Program Steering Committee” means such a Steering Committee established under section 300mm–1 (b) of this title.
(13) The term “WTC Program” means the Word Trade Center Health Program established under section 300mm (a) of this title.
(A) The term “WTC Program Administrator” means—
(i) subject to subparagraph (B), with respect to paragraphs (3) and (4) of section 300mm–21 (a) of this title (relating to enrollment of WTC responders), section 300mm–22 (c) of this title and the corresponding provisions of section 300mm–32 of this title (relating to payment for initial health evaluation, monitoring, and treatment,  paragraphs (1)(C), (2)(B), and (3) of section 300mm–31 (a) of this title (relating to determination or certification of screening-eligible or certified-eligible WTC responders), and subpart 3 of part B (relating to payor provisions), an official in the Department of Health and Human Services, to be designated by the Secretary; and
(B) In no case may the Secretary designate under subparagraph (A)(i) the Director of the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health or a designee of such Director with respect to section 300mm–32 of this title (relating to payment for initial health evaluation, monitoring, and treatment).
(17) The term “WTC Scientific/Technical Advisory Committee” means such Committee established under section 300mm–1 (a) of this title.
 So in original. A closing parenthesis probably should precede the comma.
LII has no control over and does not endorse any external Internet site that contains links to or references LII.