5 U.S. Code § 9813 - Limited appointments to Senior Executive Service positions
(a) In this section—
(1) the term “career reserved position” means a position in the Administration designated under section 3132 (b) which may be filled only by—
(B) a limited emergency appointee or a limited term appointee—
(i) who, immediately before entering the career reserved position, was serving under a career or career-conditional appointment outside the Senior Executive Service; or
(2) the term “limited emergency appointee” has the meaning given under section 3132; and
(b) The number of career reserved positions which are filled by an appointee as described under subsection (a)(1)(B) may not exceed 10 percent of the total number of Senior Executive Service positions allocated to the Administration.
(c) Notwithstanding sections 3132 and 3394 (b)—
(1) the Administrator may appoint an individual to any Senior Executive Service position in the Administration as a limited term appointee under this section for a period of—
(d) A limited term appointee who has been appointed in the Administration from a career or career-conditional appointment outside the Senior Executive Service shall have reemployment rights in the agency from which appointed, or in another agency, under requirements and conditions established by the Office of Personnel Management. The Office shall have the authority to direct such placement in any agency.
(e) Notwithstanding section 3394 (b) andsection 3395—
(1) a limited term appointee serving under a term prescribed under this section may be reassigned to another Senior Executive Service position in the Administration, the duties of which will expire at the end of a term of 4 years or less; and
(2) a limited term appointee serving under a term prescribed under this section may be reassigned to another continuing Senior Executive Service position in the Administration, except that the appointee may not serve in 1 or more positions in the Administration under such appointment in excess of 1 year, except that in rare circumstances, the Administrator may approve an extension up to an additional 1 year.
(f) A limited term appointee may not serve more than 7 consecutive years under any combination of limited appointments.
(g) Notwithstanding section 5384, the Administrator may authorize performance awards to limited term appointees in the Administration in the same amounts and in the same manner as career appointees.