6 U.S. Code § 1166 - Railroad carrier exercises
(a) In general
The Secretary shall establish a program for conducting security exercises for railroad carriers for the purpose of assessing and improving the capabilities of entities described in subsection (b) to prevent, prepare for, mitigate, respond to, and recover from acts of terrorism.
(b) Covered entities
Entities to be assessed under the program shall include—
(3) governmental and nongovernmental emergency response providers, law enforcement agencies, and railroad and transit police, as appropriate; and
The Secretary shall ensure that the program—
(1) consolidates existing security exercises for railroad carriers administered by the Department and the Department of Transportation, as jointly determined by the Secretary and the Secretary of Transportation, unless the Secretary waives this consolidation requirement as appropriate;
(2) consists of exercises that are—
(A) scaled and tailored to the needs of the carrier, including addressing the needs of the elderly and individuals with disabilities;
(D) as realistic as practicable and based on current risk assessments, including credible threats, vulnerabilities, and consequences;
(3) provides that exercises described in paragraph (2) will be—
(B) assessed by the Secretary to identify best practices, which shall be shared, as appropriate, with railroad carriers, nonprofit employee organizations that represent railroad carrier employees, Federal, State, local, and tribal officials, governmental and nongovernmental emergency response providers, law enforcement personnel, including railroad carrier and transit police, and other stakeholders; and
(4) allows for proper advanced notification of communities and local governments in which exercises are held, as appropriate; and
(d) National Exercise Program
The Secretary shall ensure that the exercise program developed under subsection (c) is a component of the National Exercise Program established under section 748 of this title.