7 U.S. Code § 7627 - Coordinated program of research, extension, and education to improve viability of small and medium size dairy, livestock, and poultry operations
(a) Program authorized
The Secretary of Agriculture may carry out a coordinated program of research, extension, and education to improve the competitiveness, viability, and sustainability of small and medium size dairy, livestock, and poultry operations (referred to in this section as “operations”).
To the extent the Secretary elects to carry out the program, the Secretary shall conduct—
(1) research, development, and on-farm extension and education concerning low-cost production facilities and practices, management systems, and genetics that are appropriate for the operations;
(2) in the case of dairy and livestock operations, research and extension on management-intensive grazing systems for dairy and livestock production to realize the potential for reduced capital and feed costs through greater use of management skills, labor availability optimization, and the natural benefits of grazing pastures;
(3) research and extension on integrated crop and livestock or poultry systems that increase efficiencies (including improved use of energy inputs), reduce costs, and prevent environmental pollution to strengthen the competitive position of the operations;
(4) economic analyses and market feasibility studies to identify new and expanded opportunities for producers on the operations that provide tools and strategies to meet consumer demand in domestic and international markets, such as cooperative marketing and value-added strategies for milk, meat, and poultry production and processing; and
(5) technology assessment that compares the technological resources of large specialized producers with the technological needs of producers on the operations to identify and transfer existing technology across all sizes and scales and to identify the specific research and education needs of the producers.
The Secretary may use the funds, facilities, and technical expertise of the Agricultural Research Service and the National Institute of Food and Agriculture and other funds available to the Secretary (other than funds of the Commodity Credit Corporation) to carry out this section.
Source(Pub. L. 105–185, title IV, § 407,June 23, 1998, 112 Stat. 573; Pub. L. 107–171, title VII, § 7207(c),May 13, 2002, 116 Stat. 440; Pub. L. 110–234, title VII, § 7511(c)(31),May 22, 2008, 122 Stat. 1270; Pub. L. 110–246, § 4(a), title VII, § 7511(c)(31),June 18, 2008, 122 Stat. 1664, 2032.)
Pub. L. 110–234and Pub. L. 110–246made identical amendments to this section. The amendments by Pub. L. 110–234were repealed by section 4(a) ofPub. L. 110–246.
2008—Subsec. (c). Pub. L. 110–246, § 7511(c)(31), substituted “National Institute of Food and Agriculture” for “Cooperative State Research, Education, and Extension Service”.
2002—Subsec. (b)(3). Pub. L. 107–171inserted “(including improved use of energy inputs)” after “poultry systems that increase efficiencies”.
Effective Date of 2008 Amendment
Amendment of this section and repeal of Pub. L. 110–234by Pub. L. 110–246effective May 22, 2008, the date of enactment of Pub. L. 110–234, except as otherwise provided, see section 4 ofPub. L. 110–246, set out as an Effective Date note under section 8701 of this title.