Administer means to carry out a task or give something to someone. Administer appears in a variety of contexts in the legal field. For example:
- A trustee administers the assets of an estate by dispersing, selling, or managing the assets.
- Corporate officers administer the affairs of the company by making transactions, managing employees, hiring lawyers, etc.
- An authorized person administers the oath in court by asking questions.
- Governments administer punishment through sanctions, fees, imprisonment, etc.
- A government agency administers the laws of a specific area of law by creating regulations, monitoring specific industries, establishing license requirements, etc.
- A nurse administers a vaccine by giving a patient a shot.
[Last updated in June of 2021 by the Wex Definitions Team]