An individual who is authorized to practice law. A lawyer is also called an attorney or attorney-at-law.
- Are officers of the court, but are not officers of the United States
- If acting without reasonable care, may be liable for damages stemming from negligence
- If acting with skill, reasonable care, and to the best of their knowledge, will not be held liable for every mistake that may occur in legal practice
- Claim to be reasonably well acquainted with the law, rules, and court practices
- Do not claim to know all the law or to be incapable of making errors or mistakes in applying the law to facts
- Are generally obligated to their clients rather than to a third party, with exceptions
[Last updated in June of 2020 by the Wex Definitions Team]