10 CFR 50.83 - Release of part of a power reactor facility or site for unrestricted use.
(a) Prior written NRC approval is required to release part of a facility or site for unrestricted use at any time before receiving approval of a license termination plan. Section 50.75 specifies recordkeeping requirements associated with partial release. Nuclear power reactor licensees seeking NRC approval shall -
(1) Evaluate the effect of releasing the property to ensure that -
(i) The dose to individual members of the public does not exceed the limits and standards of 10 CFR Part 20, Subpart D;
(ii) There is no reduction in the effectiveness of emergency planning or physical security;
(iii) Effluent releases remain within license conditions;
(iv) The environmental monitoring program and offsite dose calculation manual are revised to account for the changes;
(v) The siting criteria of 10 CFR Part 100 continue to be met; and
(vi) All other applicable statutory and regulatory requirements continue to be met.
(2) Perform a historical site assessment of the part of the facility or site to be released; and
(1) The results of the evaluations performed in accordance with paragraphs (a)(1) and (a)(2) of this section;
(2) A description of the part of the facility or site to be released;
(3) The schedule for release of the property;
(5) A discussion that provides the reasons for concluding that the environmental impacts associated with the licensee's proposed release of the property will be bounded by appropriate previously issued environmental impact statements.
(c) After receiving an approval request from the licensee for the release of a non-impacted area, the NRC shall -
(2) Determine whether the licensee's classification of any release areas as non-impacted is adequately justified; and
(1) The information specified in paragraphs (b)(1) through (b)(3) of this section;
(2) The methods used for and results obtained from the radiation surveys required to demonstrate compliance with the radiological criteria for unrestricted use specified in 10 CFR 20.1402; and
(2) Determine whether the licensee's classification of any release areas as non-impacted is adequately justified;
(3) Determine whether the licensee's radiation survey for an impacted area is adequate; and
(f) The NRC shall notice receipt of the release approval request or license amendment application and make the approval request or license amendment application available for public comment. Before acting on an approval request or license amendment application submitted in accordance with this section, the NRC shall conduct a public meeting in the vicinity of the licensee's facility for the purpose of obtaining public comments on the proposed release of part of the facility or site. The NRC shall publish a document in the Federal Register and in a forum, such as local newspapers, which is readily accessible to individuals in the vicinity of the site, announcing the date, time, and location of the meeting, along with a brief description of the purpose of the meeting.
Title 10 published on 2015-12-04
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 10 CFR Part 50 after this date.